guille suit construction

CanadianCombat

Does anyone know any websites that show how guille suit construction is done? I want to make one just for fun and to see how well they work.

I've made one myself, it's not yet complete and has taken ages, but I'll give you a quick run down.

It is made with a pair of OD Green overalls, on the front pressure points I've sewn green canvas. I cut the hood off an old field jacket and sewed it the the collar. From there I collected a massive amount of various items used in the construction. Old DPCU shirts and pants, greens, and hesian sacks. I spent ages cutting them into strips approx 4cm wide. The hesian I pulled into single strands. I then sewed all of them to the suit. That takes the most time and effort, and a willing helper. It is difficult because you think you've got the coverage just right but when you look at someone else wear it you spot gaps that don't work properly. It's just a matter of time and effort and collecting lots of old bits and pieces. Good luck.

By the way... we call them Yowie Suits

Last edited:
Easy tiger! also once you've made it weather it by dragging it about in the dirt and then weather it by hanging on a bush for a week or so this will then get rid of man made smells which animals find curious and take the unatural edges of the material,thus helping to blend in perfectly,oh! dont forget some elastic to add natural foliadge if it requires it.

Make sure you use more natural vegetation than anything else. Your environment is likely to change, so you want to be able to adapt.

Did you know that the name Ghillie suits came from the Scottish game keepers who used to wear them when they were out hunting. During WW 1 the British Army called up these Game keepers known in Scotland as Ghillies to act as snipers for the British Army and they used their own Ghillie suits

Does the Ghille suit really camofaluges us well in the jungle? Would like to try one on my next hike into the jungles!

Back