Guidon

cullion

For the upcoming competition of our JROTC unit at Passaic High School, I'll be doing Guidon for platoon unarmed as well as armed. I have a few general question about doing guidon. Firstly, I should explain. We're a second year school, and it is the general opinion that our Commander has no clue what she is doing. We have no NSI because our last one resigned, and our new one doesn't start for a while. And our Commander has no clue about guidon. Neither does anyone else. So, allow me to now pose these questions...

1.) Describe what generally occurs during facing movements. On right face, as I'm aware, the guidon repositions to the right of the squad via it's own little foot movement thing. But, what about About and Left faces?

2.) During a column movement, the guidon moves on it sown, not by command, correct? Therefore, on the prepatory "Column left," the guidon goes, and everyone else goes on "March." Is this correct?

3.) If a left face is called, then a forward march, the guidon would be posititioned to the rear and right of the platoon, correct? (If not, please review what would happen.) If the command To The Rear March is given, would the guidon reposition itself midmarch, or would it stay in its current position? (Which is really a followup to the first part of this question.)

Thanks for any help. If you have any websites that may outline guidon movements etc, that would really be appreciated. Sorry to not know too much about the topic, but, no one in our school does. Which does NOT help us. Especially since it's required for Armed platoon.

It's been awhile since I was the guide, but I'm sure I can remember some stuff... But keep in mind this is the from the AF reg. I do not know if it applys to you.
cullion said:
1.) Describe what generally occurs during facing movements. On right face, as I'm aware, the guidon repositions to the right of the squad via it's own little foot movement thing. But, what about About and Left faces?
Do what they do. You want to stay at the front and to the right, so keep that in mind as you are moving around. Some would say when you do an about face you run to the front of the flight and take your position to the right, but to my knowledge that is incorrect.

2.) During a column movement, the guidon moves on its own, not by command, correct? Therefore, on the prepatory "Column left," the guidon goes, and everyone else goes on "March." Is this correct?
Great, I always had a problem with left columns.... I think you take one more step than the element leader behind you between the 45 degree pivots. It's one of those thing's you have to play with and practice. I used to have the foot work down to the point I did it and I never really memorized the amount of steps and such, it was like a natural reaction... *Yeah, I was a robot in some ways*

3.) If a left face is called, then a forward march, the guidon would be posititioned to the rear and right of the platoon, correct? (If not, please review what would happen.) If the command To The Rear March is given, would the guidon reposition itself midmarch, or would it stay in its current position? (Which is really a followup to the first part of this question.)
I'm slightly confused by this, but I think I know what you mean. Tell me if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

If you are standing at the back of the flight, and the command "right face" is given you would automatically go to the front of the flight. You do not know if the flight commander will say forward march, so assume he/she wont. When the command "to the rear march" is given stay at the back of the flight. Once again, I know some would say run to the front and position yourself on the right, but to my knowledge that's wrong. The only time I wouldn't move it if the flight sgt (or whoever is drilling you) say's "guide post" or stay where you're at, that normally means they are doing to do something and they don't want you moving around everytime a command is given.

Here is a link. I hope at least some of this helps, I'm not with it today. So I will read this later when I wake up to make sure it made sense...
http://www.drillpad.net/DPguidon(AF).htm

Back