Guess what I found in an old pile of books...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
HGManual.png

Having read it I think Britain is indeed fortunate the Germans didn't invade as it has some horribly out of date information even by 1941 standards, it appears the Home Guard were being trained to fight the 1914-18 war all over again.

Last edited:
It looks to be in good condition Monty, No doubt there would be groups who would give their eye teeth for it.

I will get it scanned and then offer it to the Army Museum or one of the local ones.

It is in surprisingly good condition given where it was stored, I am told it was owned an uncle I didn't know but who had served in the Home Guard as he was unfit for active service, it came with all his old uniform badges etc.

As the years passed the Home Guard became a very professional fighting force, but those early books they got were written by people that had fought in WW1 and that is all the knew.

As it is now scanned I figured I would add a few pages, the manual is roughly 250 pages so I won't post them all as that would be 125 pictures which would probably upset Redleg.

So here are Hits and Maxims for the Home Guard...

HGAPPEND1.jpg

HGAPPEND2.jpg

HGAPPEND3.jpg

HGAPPEND4.jpg

My first wife left me in the early ‘70’s for an SF guy who had been a West Point Cadet. She knew I had an affinity for books, especially books relating to the military.

One day she called me (we were stationed at Ft. Bragg). He was paying alimony and child support from his first marriage and he was deployed somewhere. She was broke so she offered to sell me some of his books. I jumped at the offer and among the books I got were a 1939 edition of Mien Kamph; a 1924 Harvard essay titled “The Next War”; a 1955 Army guide to Writings of American Military History; and the one I really love a 1917 guide to Army Paperwork.

The Army Paperwork book is full of actual examples of completed US Army forms and paperwork from the WWI era!

I knew the SF soldier and he tried for years to get his books back - I, of course, would never give them up.

Was never a huge fan of Mein Kampf but if you are going to try and comment on the guy it does give an insight into his thoughts, the problem is that I thought it poorly written and it really just beats the same drum over and over to the point of being cliche.

That being said I have a 1939 Anniversary edition as well, friends alerted me to an autographed copy being sold not long ago however I am not sure I would want something of his even from a historical perspective.

Maybe a few pages here and there for those interested ?

I will drop Redleg a line before I post too much more after all he is paying for the bandwidth not me.

Back