Guerila fighting

Marksman

Guerilla warfare has been the biggest problem for ocupation forces troughout histoy.
For todays examples we can take Iraq and not so popular on news Afghanistan. What do you think is the solution for this kind of warfare?

Marksman, I'm going to lock this topic and give you a chance to come up with a paragraph topic-starter, ok? I'll unlock it for you after you do that.

Unlocked, drive on.

Marksman said:
Guerilla warfare has been the biggest problem for ocupation forces troughout histoy.
For todays examples we can take Iraq and not so popular on news Afghanistan. What do you think is the solution for this kind of warfare?

i dont think there is a solution for this type of warfare unless u get a lot of infantry on the ground and stay there and fight untill there are no more guerillas left?

Well there are other ways,trough the intel and spying.Too expencive though but worth of it!!

Marksman,

There are several ways to fight insurgents and the US Army is quite good at it. We no longer try the "load a bunch of grunts into the area and react and kill the bad guy" like in the Philippines. Mostly it is intel (S2) work that will identify the bad guy. The British used to use a divide and conquer approach, where by the support one local group and in return the local group helps them fight the insurgents.

PS. Don't forget about the fight the US is doing in Columbia now, it is bigger than Afghanistan.

Cav,

There is absolutely no way to do that, unfortunately. If people regard you as a saveiour you don't have any problems, but if people regarde you as a conqueror than we have a big problem! There is only one sadistic way that would do the job: to kill them all, but thankfully we are not in the nazi era ;)

There is a way to fight guerillas and insurgents and we are now doing it in Iraq. The only problem is that you lose troops doing it, not always but you do lose them. And to try and not cause much collateral damage (civilian casualties) you have to get in there and fight, no major air strikes or carpet bombing. Once you have troops embedded in the mix of it you start to lose some. Then you get the negative media spin and people start bad mouthing the war causing troops morale to lower. And that is probably what these guerillas want cause once morale goes done our fighting force is not as effective as it can be and the guerillas have served their purpose.

In my opinion we need to stay in our fortified positions over there and stop patrolling the cities for awhile and let all the folks that don't want us there understand that we do have a purpose and then they will probably be more willing to cooperate with us to get our jobs done and not suffer as many casualities.

Well the only problem with fortified positions is that you have no overall control on situation.......

1217 said:
SF=Army SOF=all branches (Right RnderSafe? :D )

As far as the US military is concerned, yes.

SOF includes all Special Operatoins Units/Groups. SF, Special Forces, is a specific title given to a specific Special Operations Group, like Navy SEALs, Air Force CCTs .. etc.

So somebody recently said that in guerilla warfare you should fortifie your self and wait.........well i think that that is a bad way,cuz you dont have any control of the situation,so what would it be??the thing or the way to inialate guearila presence in the area??

Back