Guerila fighting

--

May 5th, 2004  
Marksman

Topic: Guerila fighting

Guerilla warfare has been the biggest problem for ocupation forces troughout histoy.
For todays examples we can take Iraq and not so popular on news Afghanistan. What do you think is the solution for this kind of warfare?
May 5th, 2004  
Redneck

Marksman, I'm going to lock this topic and give you a chance to come up with a paragraph topic-starter, ok? I'll unlock it for you after you do that.

Unlocked, drive on.
June 1st, 2004  
bush musketeer

Topic: Re: Guerila fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
Guerilla warfare has been the biggest problem for ocupation forces troughout histoy.
For todays examples we can take Iraq and not so popular on news Afghanistan. What do you think is the solution for this kind of warfare?
i dont think there is a solution for this type of warfare unless u get a lot of infantry on the ground and stay there and fight untill there are no more guerillas left?
--
June 1st, 2004  
Marksman

Well there are other ways,trough the intel and spying.Too expencive though but worth of it!!
June 4th, 2004  
1/4 Cav

Marksman,

There are several ways to fight insurgents and the US Army is quite good at it. We no longer try the "load a bunch of grunts into the area and react and kill the bad guy" like in the Philippines. Mostly it is intel (S2) work that will identify the bad guy. The British used to use a divide and conquer approach, where by the support one local group and in return the local group helps them fight the insurgents.

PS. Don't forget about the fight the US is doing in Columbia now, it is bigger than Afghanistan.

Cav,
June 4th, 2004  
Marksman

well "if you cut the snakes head you killed the rest of the body"
June 4th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
well "if you cut the snakes head you killed the rest of the body"
That doesnt mean it wont strike back while dead though
June 4th, 2004  
Marksman

It will shake a while and die my friend
June 5th, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

"Street Without Joy" by Bernard Fall.

Read this and you will get a concept of how guerilla war is fought.
June 8th, 2004  
Uncle_Sam

There is absolutely no way to do that, unfortunately. If people regard you as a saveiour you don't have any problems, but if people regarde you as a conqueror than we have a big problem! There is only one sadistic way that would do the job: to kill them all, but thankfully we are not in the nazi era