guantanamo

--
Boots

May 28th, 2005  
behemoth79

Topic: guantanamo

with all the rumors of criticizing the Koran and of torturing POWs, should it be closed down? today's episode of the o"reilly factor had a good debate on this issue. i cant find a link to it though.
May 29th, 2005  
MontyB

Well just for fun, I think there is a need for such places to house terrorists prior to them being taken out and shot and as long as the right agencies have access to the place to ensure everything is as it should be then keep it running, my biggest argument against the place is it seems to be a dumping ground more than a prison ie people dropped there with nothing more than suspicion as evidence and no way of clearing themselves.
May 29th, 2005  
Whispering Death

/agrees with MontyB

The Guantanamo detainees have it way too easy. In WW2 the allies executed people at dawn for far less crimes than these terrorists, such as spys, sabateurs, and radio propogandists. Geneva convention should only aply to those who abide by the geneva convention. If you try to kill civilians then you should be tortured and executed. How do you think our boys delt with the Waffen SS!?!
--
Boots
May 30th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
/agrees with MontyB

The Guantanamo detainees have it way too easy. In WW2 the allies executed people at dawn for far less crimes than these terrorists, such as spys, sabateurs, and radio propogandists. Geneva convention should only aply to those who abide by the geneva convention. If you try to kill civilians then you should be tortured and executed. How do you think our boys delt with the Waffen SS!?!
Well, the Russians dealt with them with a short rope and a long drop to the ground. I can't say how our forces treated them when "out of sight". I heard a WWII Vet say that he heard a German machine gunner griping because he gave up when his position was overrun and was bayonetted anyway. Surely he didn't expect kind treatment after killing so many soldiers. He should have been thankful that he survived to *****.
June 3rd, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
Geneva convention should only aply to those who abide by the geneva convention.
This is kind of scary. So we can not respect human rights of those that do not respect them?? what would be the difference btw both of us????
June 3rd, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staurofilakes
Quote:
This is kind of scary. So we can not respect human rights of those that do not respect them?? what would be the difference btw both of us????
To start, I don't have a lot of respect for anyone who beats, rapes, and sodomizes women and girls for no reason. Also the belief by some that they were created to destroy any and everyone who doesn't believe the way they do factors pretty heavily into what they believe Human rights mean. Ergo, I don't expect that type of person will think much of the Geneva Convention or any other rules of warfare. I do believe prisoners should not be tortured but that is about the only respect I believe they should be given.
June 3rd, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Quote:
Quote:
To start, I don't have a lot of respect for anyone who beats, rapes, and sodomizes women and girls for no reason. Also the belief by some that they were created to destroy any and everyone who doesn't believe the way they do factors pretty heavily into what they believe Human rights mean. Ergo, I don't expect that type of person will think much of the Geneva Convention or any other rules of warfare. I do believe prisoners should not be tortured but that is about the only respect I believe they should be given.
I do not have any respect for that kind of people also, but people in Guantanamo are not there for raping, beating or sodomizing, they are there because they are suspects of terrorism.
What do you think that is going on in Guantanamo? There are many ways of torture...
June 3rd, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
I do not have any respect for that kind of people also, but people in Guantanamo are not there for raping, beating or sodomizing, they are there because they are suspects of terrorism.
What do you think that is going on in Guantanamo? There are many ways of torture...
Not this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ad Nausem
June 4th, 2005  
FRO

Actually, I'm not even going to bring up torture, my problem was lack of due process from the outset. I will leave it to the words placed in Sir Thomas More's mouth by Robert Bolt (though, who knows, it might be an authentic quotation) regarding applying laws to those who don't deserve protection of the law.

"Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake! "

FRO
June 5th, 2005  
wolfen

Whats wors, kicking, flushing, or burning the koran, or draging sombody feet first through the street and hanging him out to die?