Guantanamo, Defended

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Times
May 7, 2008
Re “A Prison of Shame, and It’s Ours” (column, May 4):
I am insulted by Nicholas D. Kristof’s characterizations of conditions at Guantánamo. I disagree with his implication that the medical care provided by a highly trained and dedicated staff is not conducted in a humane, professional manner. Sami al-Hajj was near ideal body weight when he left here and walked unsupported onto the aircraft.
Further, the case of Abdul Hamid al-Ghizzawi’s condition and treatment has been well documented before the United States District Court, which ruled that his continued refusal of treatment purposefully hindered our efforts to provide care.
If conditions here were as Mr. Kristof alleges, I’d be outraged, too. The truth is that the troopers of Joint Task Force Guantánamo are honorably conducting a difficult mission in the safe and humane care and custody of those detained here, and I am proud to be their commander.
(Rear Adm.) Mark H. Buzby, U.S. Navy Commander, Joint Task Force Guantánamo, Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, May 4, 2008
Editor's Note: The column by Nicholas D. Kristof appeared in the Current News Early Bird, May 4, 2008.

Back