Guadalcanal Epitaph

Redneck

I know most if not all of you have seen this before. It is called the Guadalcanal Epitaph and is for all the Marines who died in the fighting for Guadalcanal in WWII.

Guadalcanal epitaph:
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell:
"One more Marine reporting, Sir!
I've done my time in Hell."

It has many variations, but I have always found it very touching.

http://www.military-quotes.com/military-poems.htm

It's a great one!
I do almost get tears in my eyes.. :cry:

Here's a similar one:

A soldier stood at the pearly gate,
His face was scarred and old.
He stood before the man of fate
For admission to the fold.
"What have you done" St Peter asked,
"To gain admission here?"
'I've been a soldier sir,' he said,
'For many and many a year.'
The pearly gates swung open wide
As Peter touched the bell.
'Inside,' he said, 'and choose your harp.
You've had your share of hell.'

I just found this one.

I think it's the complete poem.
The grave inscript is just a part of this one..

The United States Marine

You can keep your Army khaki, You can keep your Navy blue. I have the world's best fighting man, Uncle Sam ever knew.

His uniform is different, The best you've ever seen. The German's call him "Devil dog", His real name is "Marine".

He was born in boot camp, The place where God forgot. D.I.'s breathing down his neck, The sun so blazing hot.

He gets up every morning, Before the rising sun. He'll run his required miles and more, Before the day is done.

He's deadly with a rifle, A bayonet made of steel. He takes the challenge given, He's mastered how to kill.

And when he gets to Heaven, St. Peter he will tell, "One more Marine reporting sir, I've served my time in Hell."

"I've fought so many battles, And won them as you've seen. There is no better fighting man, The United States Marine!"

The Marines sure got their esprit de corps (or esprit de Corps? ;) ) down.

Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives
forever. And that means YOU live forever.
- GySgt Hartman, USMC, Full Metal Jacket

HELL YEAH!(HELL YEAH!) JARHEADS RULE!(JARHEADS RULE!) :m16shoot: :m16shoot: :biggun: SHOOT EM UP!(SHOOT EM UP!) SHOOT EM DOWN!(SHOOT EM DOWN!) HELL YEAH!(HELL YEAH!) MARINE CORPS!!(MARINE CORPS!!)...

silent driller said:
HELL YEAH!(HELL YEAH!) JARHEADS RULE!(JARHEADS RULE!) :m16shoot: :m16shoot: :biggun: SHOOT EM UP!(SHOOT EM UP!) SHOOT EM DOWN!(SHOOT EM DOWN!) HELL YEAH!(HELL YEAH!) MARINE CORPS!!(MARINE CORPS!!)...

:lol: Hooooo-kay then. ;)
Welcome to the forum, silent.

Why, thank yeh kindly sir!
icon_blues.gif

Back