Growing New Zealand backlash targets online sex braggarts

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
Anger is growing in New Zealand against a group of teenagers who bragged on Facebook about having sex with drunk, underage girls, with nationwide public protests being planned for next week. The men called themselves the Roast Busters and named the girls involved on Facebook, but have since gone into hiding. "We do believe there needs to be something done about this, as what they have done is wrong, disgusting and a shame to many people," said Jade Schutte and Ash Hilton, the creators of a Facebook page looking to organize protest marches on November 16 in New Zealand's three main cities. "Prosecuting these matters before the court requires a very high threshold, and we only get one opportunity to get it right," Police Commissioner Peter Marshall said in a statement.

More...

Sadly the media here has become rather bored and decided to stir up a story of its own and it is an interesting story but it has a few issues.

1) This happened 2-3 years ago and while the females involved apparently stopped aging at 13-14 the time the incidents took place the guys are all reported at their current age, 17-18 in reality what you are talking about here is 13-14 year old girls and 14-15 year old guys.

2) Police investigated the incidents reported and found insufficient evidence to proceed.

So what you have is teenage kids doing incredibly stupid things something that apparently is new to New Zealand and what it shows is an incredible lack of parental and personal responsibility by all parties.

As for growing anger in New Zealand well this may be the case in the locality that it took place but on the whole I think the rest of the country sees it for what it is acts of stupidity blown well out of proportion by a media looking to get its teeth into something.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation MontyB.

Never the less, they need a boot up the bum for both being idiots and then bragging about it on a public site.

I don't disagree with that but you are dealing with teenagers, alcohol and sex which bit of that mix was ever going to result in mature action?

I am more inclined to dump this one on the parents of all involved, how many good parents out there would have instilled in their daughters that going out and getting wrecked with guys was a intelligent thing to do and conversely what sort of parents raised their sons with the idea that getting girls drunk to effectively rape them were good values.

Unfortunately there are no innocent parties in any of this and all the parents have to say on this is "well they were troubled children so it really wasn't our problem".

The worst part of this is that the media have gone at it like a dog with a bone and it is being reported in the most sensational and biased way possible which brings all the whackos out of the woodwork so now you have vigilanty groups springing up to bring "justice" to this "outrage" when what you have is stupidity all round.

I think what needs to be addressed is the attitudes by all parties that lead to this sort of thing happening, essentially I think it is the result of social failure that promotes a no responsibility and no consequences attitude.

Back