Gripen enhancements escape Swedish cutbacks

rock45

Gripen enhancements escape Swedish cutbacks
By Craig Hoyle
DATE:07/09/07

Saab will on 20 September receive the green light to remanufacture 31 of the Swedish air force's JAS 39A Gripen fighters to the enhanced C/D configuration, with the initiative to escape threatened fresh cuts to the nation's defence budget.
Approved by parliament earlier this year but subsequently held up by a government-wide spending review, the project will result in Sweden operating a common fleet of 100 Gripen C/Ds, with additional surplus aircraft to be made available for sale or lease (Flight International, 26 June-2 July)

Full story
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...pen-enhancements-escape-swedish-cutbacks.html

A/B models

I can't seem to find out how many A&B models were in storage for some reason I have the number 79 in my head. Making them available for sale or lease is a good thing but is their a customer in the wings now? Unless this is being done to get the production lines work is this worth the money upgrading? Is the air force short fighters I assume they were kept in storage for a reason. Getting the production line work is always a good thing for the industry.

Back