Greetings from Portsmouth, UK

jolboy

Hiya Gang, this is 1st post so apologies for the waffle.
I live in Portsmouth, England and run tours to the battlefields in France and Belgium.
WW1 - The Somme in France and Ypres in Belgium. WW2 - Normandy D-Day beaches and Dunkerque and also the preserved town of Oradour which was scene of a massacre by the SS in 1944 as they headed to the Normandy beaches.Took the crew of the USS Winston S Churchill out to the beaches a few years ago - brilliant trip!.
I also work with Army cadets( boys and girls aged 12 -19) military band at the Adjutant General HQ in Winchester and the Royal Marine Cadets( boys and girls aged 10 - 18 ) here in Portsmouth.
Also present Country music on local radio every Sunday 12 - 2pm English time at Expressfm.com and help organise Country music festivals.:cowb:
Have recently been asked to start running combined psychic investigation and history tours of the WW1 battlefields now the last Brit veteran has passed on.
Give me a shout if you find any of this interesting.
All best wishes.

Last edited:
Welcome mate.

When I was in UK I always meant to visit the WW1 battlefields where my grandfather fought with the Middlesex Regiment, I never did.

Hiya "BritinAfrica ", well if you get back here i'd be honoured to show you around. otherwise let me know some details and i will try and get some photos for you. all best wishes.

Last edited:
Hiya "BritinAfrica ", well if you get back here i'd be honoured to show you around. otherwise let me know some details and i will try and get some photos for you. all best wishes.

Thanks mate. As far as I can remember, my grandad was near hill 60 when it was blown up.

I also meant to go visit the tunnels in the White cliffs at Dover and the Battle of Britain memorial, but again, I didnt. I did however, visit RAF Duxford a couple of times, watching the spit and hurricane doing their thing sent shivers down my spine and the hair on my arms stand up. Something about that Rolls Merlin.

I dont see myself going to UK anytime soon, but thanks for the offer.

Last edited:
hill 60

Thanks mate. As far as I can remember, my grandad was near hill 60 when it was blown up.

I also meant to go visit the tunnels in the White cliffs at Dover and the Battle of Britain memorial, but again, I didnt. I did however, visit RAF Duxford a couple of times, watching the spit and hurricane doing their thing sent shivers down my spine and the hair on my arms stand up. Something about that Rolls Merlin.

I dont see myself going to UK anytime soon, but thanks for the offer.

No probs. I often go to Hill 60. The ground is still rippled by art. fire and mine explosions. The hill was made from soil dug out when they built a railway line there before WW1. Apart from First war memorials with bullet holes from Germans target practice in WW2 theres also a memorial to 2 young lads shot there in WW2 caught by ger patrol whilst the lads were trying to sabotage the rail line.
Only been in Dover tunnels once - impressive. I agree totally about noise of the Merlin engine. other sound that made my hair stand up was entering town of Cambrai on holiday near the Somme just as air raid sirens were tested !

Back