Greetings

Ollie Garchy

Hello all,

I stumbled onto this site the other day and found quite a few good entries and some very intelligent viewpoints. I could not resist joining in on some of the discussions.

Ollie Garchy

Welcome Ollie Garchy. You're right about reading some of the posts and being unable to resist joining in. We're like the old potato chip advertisement, "you can't eat just one." :type:

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke

The picture is of Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke -- the man who used the German rail net to defeat the Danes, the Austrians and the French in the era of Bismark. Moltke, a product of the Prussian military reform movement, in my opinion represents one of the first active military intellectuals who transformed warfare into a real science. A type of soldier-intellectual.

From what I have seen of this forum, the Wehrmacht receives far too much attention. Officers such as Manstein or Guderian stood on the shoulders of giants. I could not find a good picture of the mightiest giant. Scharnhorst more so than Moltke or even Clausewitz represented the first real military thinker and revolutionized his field in the manner of a Newton. The issue for Scharnhorst was how to duplicate the skills of Napoleon or Friedrich II using a staff structure that devoted itself to the study of war using historical methodology. Clausewitz refined the material into a massive book. Moltke employed these ideas to great success. Cool stuff, indeed. In any case, Wehrmacht generals used experience to adapt operational tactics. This process represented over a century of hard thinking on the subject.

Who is more important? The man who builds a better wheel or the man who invents it?

Ollie Garchy

Welcome aboard. Good question right-of-the-bat. Post it in a thread and you'll get some interesting answers.

Missileer said:
We're like the old potato chip advertisement, "you can't eat just one." :type:

That is a lie I have eaten just one of those chips....it was hard but i did lol but welcome

Back