Green light for increased NZ/American OEs*

Infern0

Banned
*OE = Kiwi slang for "overseas experience", considered by many to be a right of passage for many Young New Zealanders

New Zealand tertiary students can now work and travel in the United States for up to a year under a new trial arrangement signed in Auckland today.

The period is an extension from the previous four months under the US State Department's tertiary student summer work travel programme.
Prime Minister Helen Clark said the extension would open up more opportunities for young New Zealanders considering working and travelling in the US.
"It is also consistent with New Zealand's interest in enhancing people-to-people links with the United States, which help to underpin our broader bilateral relationship," she said.
New Zealand Secretary of Foreign Affairs and Trade Simon Murdoch and US Assistant Secretary of State Chris Hill signed the agreement on behalf of their respective countries.
The formalities took place at the US-NZ Partnership Forum in Auckland.
A similar arrangement was signed between the US and Australia last week.
The extension to a year takes effect immediately and will be trialled for two years.
Miss Clark said it also went some way to reciprocating New Zealand's working holiday scheme for Americans.
Since 2004, US citizens between 18 and 30 have been able to work and study in New Zealand.
Miss Clark said the Government increased the number of places available under the scheme from 1000 to 5000 last year.
New Zealand Secretary of Foreign Affairs and Trade Simon Murdoch and US Assistant Secretary of State Chris Hill signed the agreement on behalf of their respective countries.
The formalities took place at the US-NZ Partnership Forum in Auckland.
A similar arrangement was signed between the US and Australia last week.
Mr Hill said the US had seen there was a real demand for such an arrangement with New Zealand.
"We've never had any problems with any abuse of visas so we were happy to do it," he said.
"We are really looking forward to seeing those kids in the US."
NZ US Council executive director Stephen Jacobi said the arrangement was in keeping with the spirit of an expanded partnership between the two countries, the key issue under discussion at the forum.
"The new working holiday arrangement provides another proof point on how much the relationship between New Zealand and the US has strengthened and of the value of these kinds of bilateral relationship-building meetings," he said.
The three-day forum, organised by the council, runs through to tomorrow.

I guess America's opening up to a few select countries. Otherwise the wall has gone very high up.
Which is very good in my option.

I always thought if you married a Yank you could stay in the states, even that has changed. Good to see.

But bloody bad timing for me :-(

Oh the upside I get to covert a Yank to an Aussie :wink:

Even then again he can't stay here either.

The world has become separatists :p

But we Aussies all love ya Kiwi, we'd be deeply hurt if you were to leave. you're a "keeper".:-D

Awww honey you are a sweetie :oops:

*Big Hugs*

I wanted to rep you but can't, it says I have to spread it about. Its like I am a Rep Wrench :shock:

Cheers mate :cheers:

Back