Greek saves home from fire with wine

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Published: Aug. 28, 2007 at 10:48 AM

ATHENS, Greece, Aug. 28 (UPI) -- As Greek firefighters scramble to control scores of wildfires, the story of one man has emerged -- how he saved his house by fighting fire with wine.

The incident took place Friday in the town of Makistos as flames bore down and water supplies ran out, a New York Times correspondent reported Tuesday.

George Dimopoulos, 63, said although much of the town was burning, he was determined he wasn't going to lose his home.

He decided to fill up his small copper hand-pumped crop sprayer with 200 liters -- 53 gallons -- of wine he made himself two years ago. While he said it was hard and hot work, he sprayed and sprayed and his home was spared, the report said. He exhausted his supply of wine but water has become available again if needed, he said.

Dimopoulos said he's angry that Prime Minister Kostas Karamanlis' government doesn't seem up to controlling the scores of blazes that have killed 63 people and are considered suspicious.

“Bring Karamanlis here and I will take him by the hair and show him how I did it!” he told the Times.

did it not catch fire? I thought wine had alcohol.....

13,5% alcohol is not sufficient to catch fire, there is water in the wine that makes the product not flammable. Vodka and other spirits (35% and up) has a higher flash point than 96% technical alcohol, but you can make it burn under the right circumstances.

the_13th_redneck said:
Has to be above 100 proof for it to catch fire.

Above 100 proof? What do you mean?

Last edited:
Back