Greek Fighter (possibly a Mirage 2000 or F-16) vs Turkish F-16

--

July 15th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Topic: Greek Fighter (possibly a Mirage 2000 or F-16) vs Turkish F-16

A Greek Fighter pilot locks on to a Turkish F-16 who tries to shake him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJ4CzUi9a8

Does anyone understand what the pilot and the guy he speaks to are saying?
July 15th, 2006  
WarMachine

If they're NATO members then why does everyone let them have skirmishes over naval territory? You'd think there'd be some resolution that would let them work this thing out, WTF.
July 17th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Could be a training exercise.
--
July 18th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
Could be a training exercise.
Could be. Maybe whoever posted it was some anti-Turkish Greek nationalist who wanted to big-up his country's Air Force.
July 18th, 2006  
AlexKall

Yeah as you never see any missile being fired at the target (could have been done later in time of course) I would class it as exercise
July 18th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
Yeah as you never see any missile being fired at the target (could have been done later in time of course) I would class it as exercise
Or it could be a move to demonstrate determination or something. Like a Turkish fighter violating air space so the Greek one locks missiles to intimidate them. Supposedly things like these happen often (in Greek and Turkish airspace)
July 18th, 2006  
WarMachine

GW could do some good if he helped work out the cyprus problem. I bet that's the one issue that keeps turkey and greece from not trying to do anything meaningful in terms of territorial disputes.

BTW, someone enligthen me why greece and turkey have such animosity, is it just territory or what? Don't bother with the pre ww1 stuff, i know all that, why is it still a problem though?
July 19th, 2006  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
Or it could be a move to demonstrate determination or something. Like a Turkish fighter violating air space so the Greek one locks missiles to intimidate them. Supposedly things like these happen often (in Greek and Turkish airspace)
Defenetly a possibility as they arn't what you would call friends heh
July 19th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
GW could do some good if he helped work out the cyprus problem. I bet that's the one issue that keeps turkey and greece from not trying to do anything meaningful in terms of territorial disputes.

BTW, someone enligthen me why greece and turkey have such animosity, is it just territory or what? Don't bother with the pre ww1 stuff, i know all that, why is it still a problem though?
Well, there's Cyprus, islands in the Aegean and I think also Turkish minorities in Greece near Istanbul who are treated badly by Athens.
July 19th, 2006  
WarMachine

So... they're just jerks.