Greatest War Invention

Dude, he's a whole flake factory :lol:

As far as communications go, I'd have to say that tactical email is a minus, not a plus (I've even had people email me from across the room, because they were too involved in what they were doing, rather than talk to me)(and I brused my teeth that morning and everything!!!)

Telegraph, RTT or voice communications are far better inventions :D

I thought we were discussing technology that was useful in general, but that had originated with the military. For that matter, weren't computers and miniature electronics given a big boost by the space program? (Either that or the alien technology we stole from the UFO's shot down over Area 51. Either way, props to the air force.)

Mass production methods for penicillin were developed specifically for the military. Also the Haber process for fixing Nitrogen out of the air - needed to make gunpowder, and the ONLY reason WWI lasted as long as it did. See, y'all need us science geeks too!

Yeah, let's not forget pretty much ALL of western medicine.
Let's see, encryption technology, roads, STEEL, Jet planes, GPS, Satellites, the EXPANDO-VAN!, nuclear power, LSD (okay, CIA did that one, but close enough), submarines! I could do this for days.

Ide say the sharp pointy thing is the greatest, still used today in the form of the bayonet, and the weapon from wich all other weapons derived from.

I'd say the mobile field cannon has been the most important to land forces...it is the greatest killer in virtually every war over the hundred years. Not even armor dares move without arty support.

For all branches inclusive, it must be the airplane...rather a flying artillery delivery system if you think about it.

I still say its the power to kill your opponent with out dying yourself. Cause u can't do diddlysquat if your dead. :)

After a long and serious think about the whole subject... i believe the one item that has done more for the effort of war an all is...the military P-38 can opener.

When every thing came in a can, it was the P-38 that led the way. It also was a screwdriver (plain and phillips, if you please), knife, emergency fish hook, unit reconition symbol, finger nail cleaner, emergency thedolite, emergency electrical fuse and much much more.

I pay homage to the 1 cent wonder...the personal military can opener.

The Longbow

Gunpowder

The Tank

The Airplane

Nuclear weapon

All five in their own way completely changed the battlefield.

I believe that M-1 Grande was the greatest of all. During WWII almost every country had standard infantry rifles that were bolt action, not America. We had the Newly develuoped Semi-Automatic M-1. We had semi-auto weapons and we had 8 round clips. I believe we won WWII over Geremany because of our supeior weapons.

While the garand was an amazing weapon, I've heard (esp. on this forum) that it jammed often due to the ability for dirt to lodge itself in the bandolier. I do however, agree that we won the war because of our superior weapons.

Back