The Greatest Soldier to ever exist, EVER.

Charles Upham. I met him once and he was a quiet, confidently earnest and obviously competent man who had not the slightest trace of B/S about him.

Last edited:
Can't believe that no one has put down Major Robert Henry Cain VC. He destroyed 6 German tanks (4 of them Tiger tanks) by himself!

"The finest Victoria Cross of the whole war." - LT Col Derrick Mchardy

Also, Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse VC & Bar, MC.

Captain Albert Jacka VC, MC & Bar

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel Pour le Mérite & Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.

Captain Vasily Zaytsev Hero of the Soviet Union & Order of Lenin.

Colonel John Rouse Merriott Chard VC

Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Edward Lawrence(of Arabia), Companion of the Order of the Bath, Distinguished Service Order, Légion d'honneur & croix de guerre.

Last edited:
As I said earlier, real men make hard choices. In 2001 Pat Tillman's arse kicking would take a turn after the attacks of September 11th. In retaliation to the cowardly attack by AL Qaeda, Tillman joined the U.S. Army as an elite Army Ranger. Not only did he turn down a multi-year, multi-million dollar NFL contract to go kill our wofe beating sub-human friends known as the Taliban, but he also turned down the position as an officer so he could get some real blood on his hands. It is choices and actions like this that define the word hero. Sadly, and almost unbelievably, Tillman was killed in action. He most likely went died in the midst of some incomprehensible feat of heroics. This makes him a hero, he turned down things that most people would steal and kill for and died defending our freedom. With the details sketchy I think it's safe to assume Tillman went down amongst a pile of hundreds if not thousands of dead Taliban soldiers. :mrgreen: Many of these soldiers no doubt suffered broken arms, legs, necks and other grotesque blunt force trauma as Tillman probably at some point spent the last of his ammunition and had to confront the enemy army with his bare hands. One can only imagine how many bullets it must have taken to bring him down.

I think that it wasn't exactly the smartest decision to make.:thumb:

Hum, the Greatest Soldier of All Time? Alexander the Great for sure. It's like somebody woke up on one morning and thought: Now I feel like conquering the world. And did it. Forever to be without equal.

The best soldiers, and the best heroes, are the soldiers who didnt come home, didnt have children, didnt grow old, because they died for our freedom.

Thank you for saying this.

And I will add: The Soldiers who stand by the family and the friends of those who do not return. The Soldiers who come home to mourn, but then go to war knowing that a brother has been lost and they could be next.

I have many, many great Soldiers in my life, and to choose just one would be impossible.

There can only be one greatest soldier by definition, and that soldier is Julius Caeser.
Et tu Brute? Good soldiers don't forget to wear their body armor.:p

My vote is MAJ Robert Rogers of Roger's Rangers fame. His Rules of Rangers are just as applicable today as they were in 1776.

It is my opinion that the greatest soldiers of all time aren't even human. Would we charge head on into battle with no weapon? Horses did for centuries. And trust me, they knew what was going on, horses are ridiculously smart.

Or dogs and pigs used in bomb sniffing.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with you on the animals being utilized by the military. You're not an Orthodox Jew are you?:p If so would you be able to utilize pigs on Saturdays? :p:p

Certainly no offense intended!

No pigs on Friday into saturday night.....lol. Actually you aren't really supposed to utilize anything during that period. Except your mind for studying Torah.

Really though, even today animals risk their lives right alongside humans. Most of the times doing things that we wouldn't do if we were paid a million dollars. I wonder how many soldiers lives have been saved from Dogs who go and sniff out explosives?

Last edited:
Hum, the Greatest Soldier of All Time? Alexander the Great for sure. It's like somebody woke up on one morning and thought: Now I feel like conquering the world. And did it. Forever to be without equal.
Genghis Khan would like to have a word with you.

The true heroes of any conflict are the ones who never come home. No matter what any live veteran has done they have yet to give what those interned at cemetaries across the world have given...their lives. There is simply nothing more precious that can be given for a cause than ones own life. I think most combat veterans would agree with my assessment.

Actually I change my opinion from Julius Caesar to Genghis Khan. The man turned a bunch of illiterate nomads into the most powerful empire on the planet in his own lifetime. (even if his soldiers killed 40 million people under his reign alone and his descendants would only add to the body count) He crushed the Xia dynasty of China, a formadible regional power, he took the entire Jin dynasty for his people, he utterly obliterated the Khwarezimian empire (to be fair, the shah was so idioitic he divided his army into tiny pieces concentrated at the cities), he took the Khitan khanate, and conquered Georgia and Volgo bulgaria.

In other words, this man was a conquerer like no other, and he revolutionized command by giving positions of command according to merit, not by blood relationships. Allowing Geniuses like Subutai to take command. He made the conquests of Alexander before him look positively pitiful in comparison and I have no doubt that if they were to clash on the field of battle, Genghis Khan would handily serve the Macedonian's rear end back to him on a silver platter.

Last edited:
Carlos Hethcock marine sniper in the vietnam war. He saved the lives of so many other marines witch nearly killed him, but he lived to a good old age

The true heroes of any conflict are the ones who never come home. No matter what any live veteran has done they have yet to give what those interned at cemetaries across the world have given...their lives. There is simply nothing more precious that can be given for a cause than ones own life. I think most combat veterans would agree with my assessment.

+1 Well said brinktk...

"The Ode" from "For the Fallen"

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We Will Remember Them."

- by Laurence Binyon

Back