The Greatest Ships - Page 7

September 15th, 2005  
Charge 7
USS Monitor was among the coastal and river going vessels not designed for the sea (as her sinking surely proved) and she was commissioned in February 1862. HMS Warrior was the first ocean going iron hulled vessel and was commissioned in August 1861 so she was the first in all respects that count save one. USS Monitor was the first ship to have an armored revolving turret - a feature that was of course to make all the difference in the world.
September 15th, 2005  
There have been a number of ships over the years that have stood out for their radical approach to a problem. Some of these ships are each in turn responsible for a massive change in thinking of the worlds Navies.
September 16th, 2005  
Last week I toured the USS Texas, which is a WW1-era battleship. It was modernized for WW2, and served in both the ETO and the PTO.

The USS Texas took on Ranger casualties from Point du Hoc, and my father's LCM motored past her on the way to their 6th-wave appointment on green beach, Iwo Jima.
September 28th, 2005  
Originally Posted by airmanpatroler
The Greatest ship would be The USS. Constitution
I agree Old Ironsides is the best of the best. I also am fond of the HMS Drednaught.
September 29th, 2005  
The Montana class... never built but would have been nice... Superheavy class.
September 30th, 2005  
Sovereign of the Seas, built by King Charles I (early 1600's) - OK a bit old but she looked beautiful.
October 8th, 2005  
Originally Posted by Zucchini
Excluding weapons delivered by airplanes and submarines, ship to ship, what weapon inflicted the most damage during WWII?

My hunch is ship-to-ship torpedoes.
Depends on damage to what. The big BBs of the US Navy ended up being premier artillery support for amphibious landings in the Pacific theatre. The damage they did to beach and inland defenses is probably far greater than the damage that torpedoes inflicted on other ships. But then again, right now I'm jus' shootin' off at the mouth, and I really have no idea what I'm talking about... I think!

October 11th, 2005  
I would say the Bizmarck. I mean the British sent significant portion of her fleet to sink the ship. One on one I don't think the Bizmarck could be matched.
October 11th, 2005  
Withdraw my answer. I believe The Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen of the Kriegsmarine. (German Navy). Was one of the greatest ships ever built.
October 12th, 2005  
who wouldnt agree with TITANIC ?