The Greatest Ships

Oh yes, you're quite correct. Sorry, I saw Brunel mentioned and the word "Great" and I half-remembered. :lol:

The USS New Jersey BB62 Iowa class battle ship
My grandpa served on her he was onboard when she recieved her only combat casultes of the korean war.

she receved 19 battle stars for service in ww2, korea, vietnam, lebanon, and persian gulf.

also was awarded
1. the navy unit commendation for sevice in vietnam
2. presidential unit citation from the republic of korea
3.presidential unit citation from the republic of the phillippines

status- museum ship Camden New Jersey United States Of america

it is the most decorated battleship in naval history

Thats true, but the TITANIC was a flawed designed as well. The Watertight compartments only extended to 'E' Deck and not all the way up the ship. The result was that as the damaged compartments flooded the water, they spilled over into the next compartment which in turn began to flood. A basic domino effect. Had they designed the ship correctly the ship would have survived mostly likely survived..

Why Andrews (the deseigner) didnt forseethis rather obvious error we will never know, he went down with his ship.

Tests have been carried out recently on the rivets used in her build. It was found that they were of poor quaility, far too brittle and broke far too easily. Another design fault as told by some marine engineers, that the rudder was far too small for her size and weight.

One of the great contributors to ship building must be the Turbinia built in 1897, being the first steam turbine powered craft and an inspiration for future steam turbine powered ships. At the time she was the fastest craft afloat with a top speed of 34.5 knots.

HMS Cobra and Viper were launched in 1899 using the new steam turbine engines.

HMS Dreadnaught being the first battleship with the steam turbine and gave her name to a whole new class of ships.

Turbinia contributed with her steam turbine engine a great deal to the navies around the world.

Last edited:
BritinAfrica

I saw that report, it also mentioned the steel used in the construction not being the grade of materials Andrew has specified during the blueprints. One of the contractors was cutting corners...

Its amazing how some people of the day could call her "unsinkable", the correct term would should have been "accident-ready". A fatally flawed ship design, made from the shoddiest materials, run by a totally reckless and irresponsible crew. And worse when the first photos were released it turns out that the accusations made after the sinking that 3rd class and steerage passengers were locked below decks to prevent them from reaching the deck proved to be true. Photos shows the barriers to the steerage compartment closed and padlocked.

That's not incompetence that's mass murder.

Back