The Greatest Ships - Page 3

--

April 10th, 2005  
Bellerophon

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanpatroler
The Greatest ship would be The USS. Constitution
Hello airman,

Why was Constitution the greatest? She never fought a ship of eqaul size, let alone a bigger opponent.

Two victories, one over HMS Guerriere and another over HMS Java, both 18 pounder frigates(Constitution was a 24 pounder), hardly constitutes greatness.

Check out this website about HMS Victory.

http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1
April 10th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
The Yamato was a monster and shouldn't be left out of any discussion about the most amazing Battleships of all time. It had its flaws, but its the only Battleship that stood a decent chance in a one to one fight with one of the Iowa Class Battleships.

The HMS Dreadnaught, CSS Virginia (Merimack) also deserve significant praise.
Both the Monitor and the Virginia were major steps forward in warship design so I agree they deserve a mention
April 10th, 2005  
Zucchini

I like heavy cruisers. I'll go with the USS Houston. It was caught in a tough situation in the Java Sea. As POWs, the surviving crew was part of the group that built the bridge on the River Kwai.
--
April 12th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
The Yamato was a monster and shouldn't be left out of any discussion about the most amazing Battleships of all time. It had its flaws, but its the only Battleship that stood a decent chance in a one to one fight with one of the Iowa Class Battleships.

The HMS Dreadnaught, CSS Virginia (Merimack) also deserve significant praise.
On a related story.

I would love to see the Yamato, Shinano (un-modified of course), Bismark and Tirpitz go at it with the Iowa, Missourri, Wisconsin and New Jersey. Sure the Japanese ships were more heavily armed and armored but the Iowa class ships had radar guided guns which were more accurate at greater distance than the Japanese and Germany ships. I think that the Iowa Class ships would be victorious in the end because of their superior firing systems, but if anyone has any information that could rain on my parade please keep it to yourselves and let me have my dreams.
April 13th, 2005  
EagleZtrike

USS Arizona
April 13th, 2005  
Charge 7

Well USS Arizona is certainly a ship of historical value, but what makes you think it was a great ship? Remember, I don't just want names tossed out. You have to state why you feel the ship should be mentioned.
April 13th, 2005  
Corocotta

For me the biggest ship is The Santa Maria, one of the ships Cristobal Colón used to discover America. Can you imagine to go through the Atlantic Ocean in this piece of wood during months,without enough food, water, medicine....

April 14th, 2005  
melkor the first

Topic: Greatest Ship-Santa Maria

Im sticking with my choice HMS Victory but certainly don't want to derogate your choice. Since the Vikings may have been here first, an argument could be made for one of their longships. There is also Magellan's flagship and for epic voyages Captain Bligh's launch. I still think that one thinks of a great ship the Victory meets all requirements- aesthetically pleasing, a great history behind it and durabilty. Best
April 14th, 2005  
Zucchini

Excluding weapons delivered by airplanes and submarines, ship to ship, what weapon inflicted the most damage during WWII?

My hunch is ship-to-ship torpedoes.
April 15th, 2005  
c/Commander

USS Enterprise (CVN-65) is the best ship ever constructed from a modern naval point of view. It convinced the DoD that nuclear-powered supercarriers were the way to go in aircraft carrier design, and prompted the design and production of the Nimitz-class (and, soon, the CVNX series) of supercarriers.