The Greatest Sailing Ship Ever (Ships only with Sails) - Page 2

--

September 25th, 2009  
mmarsh

The 1628 Swedish warship Wasa was an absolutely beautiful ship. I cannot say it was a fanastic design because she capsized and sank on her Maiden voyage due to a lack of stability (a Design Flaw). However she was hand sculpted by some the greatest sculptures and Painters in Europe created her.
December 20th, 2009  
Gary of CA

The clipper Cutty Sark, so good that she graces a bottle of Scotch whiskey.
December 22nd, 2009  
MontyB

I will go with the Pelican/Golden Hind for its circumnavigation of the globe in the 1500s.

Seriously if you are going to sail around the world in this thing you should get some recognition...

--
December 30th, 2009  
wolfen

The USS Constitution, best looking and greatest sailing ship ever built, check her service record and also go look at her in person, she is STILL on active duty with the United States Navy and she still floats on her own. Show me another sailing ship that old that is still in operational condition which hasn't been completely rebuilt.
February 1st, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

The Turtle Ship. It was redesigned and renonvated by the great admiral Yi-Sun-Shin. It can actually ram into another boat and come out virtually untouched. It has oars and sails, and despite its appearance and depiction, it is fast. It is actually the first ironclad ship in the world (It was made long before the American Revolution). It is heavily armored. For more details, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Ship
February 18th, 2010  
mocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
The USS Constitution, best looking and greatest sailing ship ever built, check her service record and also go look at her in person, she is STILL on active duty with the United States Navy and she still floats on her own. Show me another sailing ship that old that is still in operational condition which hasn't been completely rebuilt.
Massive effort to keep a vessel so old in serving condition & a tribute to the US Navy, HMS Victory is the older of the two ships, but Victory has been laid up in drydock & needs some work to repair her....

HMS Trincomalee is still afloat and although launched in 1817, remains the oldest of her class to still sail.........
February 19th, 2010  
LeEnfield

HMS Victory is kept in tip top condition and regular gets an overhaul she is kept in dock these days as it is to valuable to be at sea. I have a photo of the victory in full sail from the 1930's
February 19th, 2010  
-- Dusty

The Black Pearl.
February 24th, 2010  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocco
Massive effort to keep a vessel so old in serving condition & a tribute to the US Navy, HMS Victory is the older of the two ships, but Victory has been laid up in drydock & needs some work to repair her....

HMS Trincomalee is still afloat and although launched in 1817, remains the oldest of her class to still sail.........
Yea but old Ironsides has one advantage that modern ships lack, that is total stealth, just imagine, your in say the old Soviet Navy and have the Kiev out on maneuvers, and out of nowhere comes a Revolutionary war sailing ship, your first impression is going to be wtf, then you will wait to see if it passes or fires, Of course the Kiev would win that fight, but the element of surprise would go to the Constitution LOL
March 4th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Hah Hah. Yeah in fiction, I guess the Black Pearl, Hmmm(user). Never thought of that.