The Greatest Generals of the Twentieth Century

Taz

Hey all,
I was just wondering who you think were the greatest generals of the Twentieth century are.

Mine are:

1.Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck
2.Erich Von Manstien
3.Georgi Zhukov
4.Heinz Gurderian
5.Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
6.Erwin Rommel
7. Franchet d'Esperey
8.Sir John Monash
9.William Slim
10.Võ Nguyên Giáp

Goldie Mier Isreali Prime Minister in the early 1970's when asked which three American Generals she would want replied, "General Electric, General Mills, and General Motors.":smile:

Sorry just couldn't resist.

I would also add General David "Malik Daoud" Petraeus to the list.

This is one American general who never accepted the axiom "The United States can never win a war against an indigenous counterinsurgency." He and Ordiniero have done just an incredible job rolling back the terrorist tide in Iraq.

Petraeus started the victory in Iraq with his operations in Kurdistan and President Bush once again chose the best man for the job when he moved him to command all troops in Iraq (President Bush's other STELLAR "best man for the job" selections: Vice President of the United States of America Richard Cheney; Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld; UN Ambassador John Bolton; Asst Sec Def Paul Wolfowitz). He combined military success with the political element necessary to turn the tide in Iraq and secure our victory, and a true future for the Iraqi people.

General David "Malik Daoud" Petraeus ranks right up there with Patton for me. :rock:

Hey all,
I was just wondering who you think were the greatest generals of the Twentieth century are.

Mine are:

1.Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck
2.Erich Von Manstien
3.Georgi Zhukov
4.Heinz Gurderian
5.Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
6.Erwin Rommel
7. Franchet d'Esperey
8.Sir John Monash
9.William Slim
10.Võ Nguyên Giáp

Great list, but I'd move M. K. Ataturk to #1. The guy not only faught with 'fighters' equipped with practically sticks and stones and against the most powerful nations of the early 20th century and defeated them in all fronts, he also created a modern, secular, examplary country from the ashes of the collapsed Ottoman Empire.

18wm2ma.jpg

Handsome fellow too. :smil:

I would also add General David "Malik Daoud" Petraeus to the list.

This is one American general who never accepted the axiom "The United States can never win a war against an indigenous counterinsurgency." He and Ordiniero have done just an incredible job rolling back the terrorist tide in Iraq.

Petraeus started the victory in Iraq with his operations in Kurdistan and President Bush once again chose the best man for the job when he moved him to command all troops in Iraq (President Bush's other STELLAR "best man for the job" selections: Vice President of the United States of America Richard Cheney; Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld; UN Ambassador John Bolton; Asst Sec Def Paul Wolfowitz). He combined military success with the political element necessary to turn the tide in Iraq and secure our victory, and a true future for the Iraqi people.

General David "Malik Daoud" Petraeus ranks right up there with Patton for me. :rock:

Great comment, however the title of the thread is The Greatest Generals of the Twentieth Century, so your comment is slightly off-topic, although I don't disagree with what you said.
:eek:fftopic:

The twentieth century ended December 31, 1999.

Last edited:
Back