The Greatest Finns. - Page 2

--
Boots

January 5th, 2005  
Vitaly

I must say that Simo Häyhä is the greatest Finn. I quote "A member of the 34th Infantry Regiment and a farmer by trade, Simo Häyhä became a most feared sniper during the 1939-40 (30 November 1939 14 March 1940) Winter invasion of Finland by the Soviet Union. Using nothing more than an iron sighted Mosin-Nagant Model 28, Simo is credited with killing 505 Russians during a three month period - a feat still unmatched today by any sniper in any conflict. (Editor's note: Some sources say as many as 542 kills in this period.) The impact of Simo and men like him forced the Soviets to pay dearly for their transgressions. While Finland lost the Winter war, it cost the Soviets 1,000,000 men killed out of the 1,500,000 man invading force*. The Finns lost a total of 25,000 men in that conflict. A testament to their bravery and determination in the face of amazing odds.

He passed away on April 1st 2002 at the age of 96

*Information gleaned from Rifles of the White Death. Doug Bowser. Camellia City Military Publications."
January 5th, 2005  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaly
I must say that Simo Häyhä is the greatest Finn. I quote "A member of the 34th Infantry Regiment and a farmer by trade, Simo Häyhä became a most feared sniper during the 1939-40 (30 November 1939 14 March 1940) Winter invasion of Finland by the Soviet Union. Using nothing more than an iron sighted Mosin-Nagant Model 28, Simo is credited with killing 505 Russians during a three month period - a feat still unmatched today by any sniper in any conflict. (Editor's note: Some sources say as many as 542 kills in this period.) The impact of Simo and men like him forced the Soviets to pay dearly for their transgressions. While Finland lost the Winter war, it cost the Soviets 1,000,000 men killed out of the 1,500,000 man invading force*. The Finns lost a total of 25,000 men in that conflict. A testament to their bravery and determination in the face of amazing odds.

He passed away on April 1st 2002 at the age of 96

*Information gleaned from Rifles of the White Death. Doug Bowser. Camellia City Military Publications."
Häyhä's credits were great but the greatest and the winner of the poll is C.G.E. Mannerheim and in larger scale he is unmatched. Even for Häyhä's big kill account he was only a sniper.

That kill account with m/28 mosin nagant finnish version with iron sights is awesome. Häyhä lived somewhere here in 100km radius and in his old days he was somekind of local hunting master. Some of his kill account he had enlarged by submachine gun.

"While Finland lost the Winter war, it cost the Soviets 1,000,000 men killed out of the 1,500,000 man invading force*. The Finns lost a total of 25,000 men in that conflict. A testament to their bravery and determination in the face of amazing odds."

Win the fight, lose the war, politicians are weak. But if soviet war goals were all failed but finnish weren't.
January 17th, 2005  
EuroSpike

Snauhi and Armyjaeger: Have you seen the new "Talvitaistelu" film wich is maken in december 04 at Rovajärvi? Quite well made and is a bit like Taistelukenttä, I found a link to it.

http://media.tietotalo.fi/mil/talvitaistelu_movie.wmv

Talvitaistelu Winter combat. A 15min movie type film about winter and arctic warfare.
--
Boots
January 18th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Link doesn't work
January 18th, 2005  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Link doesn't work
Didn't work? It works in my computer. Link activates media player and downloads the video.
January 18th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Ohh ok it works now. Thanks ... and sorry
January 18th, 2005  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Ohh ok it works now. Thanks ... and sorry
Good thing! I though if the access for that link was limited or something. Don't know.
January 18th, 2005  
Snauhi

No i havent, is it good?
January 18th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke
LOL
when i saw the title of this thread i thought you were talking about the musicians, tim and neil finn!!!
Me too!
January 18th, 2005  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
No i havent, is it good?
Quite well footaged for a teaching film. It is a bit similar to Taistelukenttä movie.