Greatest Charge Ever

Fix bayonets

What do you think the greatest charge (by infantry or cavalry) is?

I think the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava 25th October 1854 because, they charged through three batterys of artillery and then fought hand to hand with the gunneres and a corps of russian cavalry, before retreating

I think the British bayonet charge, near Amara Iraq is the best cuz its so weird too hear about a charge with technology like today, and they killed 35 Iraqis. :cowb:

Napoleon's Cavalry charge at Waterloo, it was the single largest cavalry charge on European soil, and it was a complete failure. haha

Funny how its so much easier to recall all the disasterous charges in history. Astoundingly successful ones are rare throughout history.

charges

for the cav i would say the 4th and 12th light horse charge at beersheba. they attacked with drawn bayonets cause they were not issued with swords at the time (being mounted infantry but used as cav)
advanced 4 miles to take the town and it wells. the first trenches were a mile and a half from there position. the advance was made against artilery,entreched infantry and machine guns. 59 officers 1090 or's, 9 guns, 7 limbers, 4mgs and other stores and equipment were captured for a loss of 32 men. it only lasted ten minutes but 1 VC, 6DSO'S, 4MC'S, 4DCM'S, AND 11MM'S WERE AWARDED.
for the infantry the british at albuera in 1811.

I'd say the charge of Chamberlains force at i believe Little Round Top during the Civil War. They were able to push back the Texans for a while.

Even though a blunder, Picketts charge. 15,000 men charging across a wide open field for a quarter mile, over a fence then into musket fire by the Union. only 3,000 made it to the line... amazing power back then =/

And worst charge of course goes to Burnsides at the battle of the Crater. LETS ALL RUN INTO A BIG HOLE!

Hm

Pickets Charge was certainly one of the bravest charges I have ever read about. You have to wonder at the courage displayed

Dont forget the charge by the 21st Lancers at the Battle of Omdurman (complete with Lt Winston S Churchill) or the oft forgotten charge of the Heavy Brigade in the Crimea

I think it would have to be Picketts Charge. What a slaughter. Them "Good old Boys" sure kept coming though.

It has to be the charge at the Nek during the Gallipoli Campaign. The whole attack took place in an area the size of a couple of tennis courts.

Charge at The Nek

The Nek was a vitally important position on the northern end of the ANZAC front line and the scene of a tragic attack by the 3rd Light Horse Brigade at dawn on 7 August 1915. It was a narrow bridge of land that stretched between Russell's Top and Baby 700 across the top of Monash Valley. The Turkish trenches on the slopes of Baby 700 allowed them to dominate the Australian positions below.

As part of the diversionary effort for the August Offensive, the 3rd Light Horse was ordered to attack the Turkish trenches at the Nek at 4.30am on 7 August to support an attack on Baby 700 by New Zealand troops who were to have captured Chunuk Bair the previous evening. The attack commenced with a bombardment of the Turkish positions by a destroyer steaming offshore, but the bulk of the shells fell beyond their target and the bombardment ended seven minutes early. Instead of charging at this point, the officers of the light horse held their men back until the appointed time for the attack arrived. This gave the Turks time to man their positions, having sought shelter during the bombardment.

The first wave of light horsemen from the 8th Light Horse Regiment were shot down by Turkish rifle and machine-gun fire. The second line, also from the 8th, scrambled over the dead and wounded of the first line to make their attack, and suffered the same fate. Cancellation of the attack was proposed, but was rejected by Major John Antill, who had taken over effective command of the 3rd Brigade. The third line of soldiers, from the 10th Light Horse, went over the top and were also shot down. Cancellation was again suggested, but before a decision was made, the right flank of the fourth line charged as a result of a misunderstanding, and the rest of the line followed. They too were mowed down by the Turkish fire. The 8th Light Horse suffered 234 casualties, 154 fatal; and the 10th, suffered 138 casualties, 80 fatal.

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/event_133.asp

I think the Zulu charge against the Britsh was amazing, the britsh held of thousands and thousands of Zulus with like 50 men and all bolt-action rifles.

Back