Greatest Battlefield Commander of the Allies in World War II - Page 2

View Poll Results :Who was the Best and Brightest Battlefield Commander of the Allies of WW2?
General George S Patton (USA) 14 58.33%
General Omar Bradley (USA) 1 4.17%
General Douglas MacArthur (USA) 0 0%
General Dwight D Eisenhower (USA) 0 0%
Field Marshall Georgii K Zhukov (USSR) 3 12.50%
Field Marshal Ivan Konev (USSR) 0 0%
General Nikolai Fedorovich Vatutin (USSR) 0 0%
Field Marshall Philippe Leclerc (France) 0 0%
Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery (United Kingdom) 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

--

March 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Precisely why I wonder if Vatutin had something similar happen to him as Guderian.
March 1st, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Precisely why I wonder if Vatutin had something similar happen to him as Guderian.
Hmm I don't believe so. Stalin's relationships with his generals were much better than Hitler's were with his. Vatutin died in 1944 as well which may have had something to do with it, although I still suspect that he was a full Marshall when he died.
March 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

I doubt Zhukov would agree with that. Stalin took great pains to denigrate his accomplishments.
--
March 3rd, 2005  
Ashes

Do you think Vasilevski should get a mention for his campaign against the Japanese Manchurian army in operation August Storm, apart from his great efforts against the Germans.

The Manchurian campaign was an lightning Blitzkrieg, probably the biggest land battle against the Japanese.

1,500,0000 Russians against 1 million Japanese.

The astonishing advance by the Soviets on the Trans-baikal front in Manchuria on the 8/8'45 by the 6th Guards tank army, and the 17th, 39th, and 53rd army, with 826 tanks,193 assault guns and 6489 other vehicles, under Malinovsky, advanced 560 miles through the mountains to the central plains in 11 days.

Eventually capturing Mudkin and Port Arthur on the 24/8'45, a total of over 700 miles in 16 days.
Not a bad advance.

And Slim is underrated to a large degree.
March 3rd, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Provide a link or two, it might help. I don't know enough about it all.
April 20th, 2005  
Farseer

This is a decision between Patton, Konev and Zhukov. Even I think that it was both Zhukov and Konev who saved Russia, I have to choose Patton.
Patton was only allied commanders who could have had even match against best German commanders with both sides having about equal forces. Zhukov is remembered only because he was in right place in right time, and I have doubts about his position in victory of Stalingrad. His massattacking tactic was only possible because Russians had manpower to be sacrificed. Konev was better strategist, and I think that he would have captured Berlin before Zhukov if he would have been given a chance.

However, not even single allied commander can achieve position with best German military leaders.

EDIT: oops, little mistake
April 20th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer
This is a decision between Patton, Konev and Zhukov. Even I think that it was both Zhukov and Konev who saved Russia, I have to choose Patton.
Patton was only allied commanders who could have had even match against best German commanders with both sides having about equal forces. Zhukov is remembered only because he was in right place in right time, and I have doubts about his position in victory of Stalingrad. His massattacking tactic was only possible because Russians had manpower to be sacrificed. Konev was better strategist, and I think that he would have captured Berlin before Konev if he would have been given a chance.

However, not even single allied commander can achieve position with best German military leaders.
Once again I agree - Zhukov was overrated and Konev, who most people have never heard of, gets almost no recognition outside Russia whatsoever.
August 18th, 2005  
alex123

field marshall slim - great leader - sickeningly underated
August 18th, 2005  
Charge 7

I agree Bill Slim was a great commander who deserved alot more credit than he got. Many think it was due to his having been from the Indian Army days (Indian Army officers were looked on as second rate by many of the British regulars at the time).

Did he eventually make field marshal? I only recall him being titled as a general.
August 18th, 2005  
alex123

ye he did - although you did make me question my knowledge for a second -

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/slim.htm