The Great War

Chocobo_Blitzer

Hey there, I'm a bit clueless on certain aspects of WWI. For instance, beyond the breakout of the war, I know little of the goals and ambitions of both sides.

So what are they? For the Central powers, and the Allies.

Why is it called a "world" war? I thought only Europe, northern Africa, and parts of the middle-east were involved. Was there any action in Asia?

And lastly, did the USA really save the Allies? Sence I was real little, I was always under the impression we saved the day (grandpa...) while I've heard some people say we made it worse.

that war was a total waste, the purpose were solely to conquer and defeat ally groups

the second world war was differnet, it was mainly a crusade aginist the brtality of nazism

The war.
Can't stop the war because the "go" order's already been given, even though the units have barely left their bases. That's bureaucratic laziness. They don't care if their actions lead to deaths of hundreds, thousands or in this case, millions. Go see a bureaucrat today. You'll know what I mean. They're worse than lawyers but get less flak because they're not as expensive.

"World War" is a term applied to that conflict about the time the conflict that came 20 years later was termed "World War II". Nobody at the time called it "World War I". They called it "The Great War". I believe the numbering sequence came about to indicate the matters unresolved by the first war and settled by the second. WWI was indeed fought globaly. There were naval actions in the Pacific between the British and the Germans as well as even a land battle between the Germans and the Japanese (they were on the Allied side then).

As to the US "saving the day" that was so in that we provided the manpower needed to tip the balance onto the Allied side as both the Allies and the Central Powers had pounded themselves pretty much into exhaustion by the time the US entered the war nearly three years after it had begun. We also provided the manufaturing might for the Allies that had seen their own abilities in that area depleted long before we joined the actual fight. The other Allied nations provided by far the bulk of the manpower throughout the war that is to be certain and bore a monstrously larger toll than did the US.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
Why is it called a "world" war? I thought only Europe, northern Africa, and parts of the middle-east were involved. Was there any action in Asia?

There was some action In the Pacific Region. HMAS Sydney sunk the German Crusier Emden just off the Cocos Islands
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-navy/sydney.htm

And Australia sent soldiers to German New Guinea, Australia's real baptizim of fire
http://www.montevideomaru.info/Montevideo/html/Early Rabaul.htm

Chocobo_Blitzer said:

If I remember correctly China also sent quite a few (900000 being an approx. figure) labourers, porters, etc to support the Triple Entente (Britain, France, etc). German ships in Chinese ports were siezed and German businesses in China were attacked. Wouldn't this mean that China (Then Republic of China) was indirectly involved?

EDIT: I found this in my History textbook. If you really want to know, it's "China since 1900" by Josh Brooman.

It was all about colonialization the assassination by the Black Hand of Arch Duke Ferdinand was only the tip of the iceberg.
As for The US saving the day.... I don't believe it. Sure they made a great contribution and should be honored for their sacrifices, but I don't think that they should be branded as the "ones who won WW1" Just my opinion....

The problems in America they don't seem to teach history where America is not to involved. WW1 was fought from the South Atlantic and around the Falklands, all around Africa as Germany had a number of Colonies there. There were also battles in the the Pacific again against Germany Colonies, and these were fought by mainly Australian troops. Now with a war zone from Russia right down to the Antarctic and across the Pacific, I would call that a world war.

Back