Great shots in your hunting history

M1karava

Has anybody ever made a lucky or somewhat amazing shot while hunting or just target shooting. If so feel free to share your exploits, being modest wont help you with this.

I am not a great shot, Now my Daddy he is a great shot, Ive heard stories of him drilling a hole through the center diamond of a playing card. (saw the playing card too) at over one hundred and ten yards. With a 22. and Iron sights. can I do that no, probaly never goin to do it either. I just get lucky occasionaly. But this isint about me, reply and share some of your great shots in hunting history.

Plenty of us hunt, but perhaps we are too modest to crow about "lucky" shots.

All hunting is pretty much a mixture of skill and plain dumb luck. The amount of each varies from shot to shot.

I used to shoot up to 500 horses buffalo and donkeys a day, and had to maintain a 95%+ one shot kill rate, but never the less I would be less than truthful to say that I didn't have a lot of luck. If you shoot enough, you are bound to have a few extremely lucky shots eventually, but 99% of the time, that's all they are,... luck.

Wow...either everyone is pretty modest or nobody hunts.

oh well...

Hehe I enjoy hunting but of late most of my shooting has been black powder shooting, a few years back we built a black powder mortar which fires baked bean tins full of sand and that had been a great deal of fun.

Outside that I do a little pig hunting which is really the only thing we have of any size and abundance in the region (we have a ton of rabbits and ducks but they are not much of a challenge), deer are few and far between in these parts although the population is starting to make a come back so maybe in a few years I will start bagging them.

Plenty of us hunt, but perhaps we are too modest to crow about "lucky" shots.

All hunting is pretty much a mixture of skill and plain dumb luck. The amount of each varies from shot to shot.

I used to shoot up to 500 horses buffalo and donkeys a day, and had to maintain a 95%+ one shot kill rate, but never the less I would be less than truthful to say that I didn't have a lot of luck. If you shoot enough, you are bound to have a few extremely lucky shots eventually, but 99% of the time, that's all they are,... luck.

I have to agree with you on the plain dumb luck part. But but being too modest to crow about a lucky shot. To me hearing people's story isint about comparing it to myself or "crowwing about lucky shots' . I just find it interesting to hear the circumstances about which they were made.

I dont know everyone has their opinion about being modest or bragging.

Never been hunting before, but when I was in Romania me and my stepdad were out firing some of his Rifles and Handguns at old tin cans.

I managed to hit one from about 20-30 yards out on my first shot with a Polish P-64. That was good for me, because in my opinion its a horrible pistol with too much recoil for a "compact" pistol.

When I was young, I shot a rubber band through a leaf I was aiming. The thing is that another leaf was falling straight in the line of fire, and I shot, so I killed two leaves with one rubber band.... Hehe... Though purely by dumb luck.

Also, at the time, I was hunting for dares to do crazy things, so I guy dared me to shoot a rubber band at 3 meters across from a hanging leaf, so I shot and got the lucky shot. So you can say I "hunted".....

About five years ago I was boar hunting down in Oklahoma. It was the end of the day and I was about to pack it in because I wasn't seeing anything that I wanted to shoot. So, I get up and and start to walk back to my cabin. As I'm walking back, I see a huge hog just in the tree line about 300 meters away. Now, I had a savage .300 winmag short. 300 meters would have been easy breezy for a win mag. The thing was, it was dusk, the hog was behind a large log and it looked to be feeding. All I could see through the scope was the hog head pop up every few seconds, but no real shot.

Note* If you've never hunted boars before it's important to note that they are tough bastards. If you don't hit them exactly in the heart or brain, they will run off and die 2 months later. They have, essentially armor plating in bone around their rib cage and on top of their head.

Anyways, I watching this boar for about 2 minutes hoping that it will move to a better location so I can get a clean shot. Nope, he just stays put and keeps feeding. Then, in the background, I can see his pack start to move and I knew he was going to go deeper into the woods if I didn't down him then and there. So, I exhaled and then held my breath, steadied the sight picture right behind where I thought the eye was behind the log. The rifle bucked in my shoulder as I was startled by the recoil. I can't tell if I hit the pig or not, all I see is a big dead log on the ground where the pig had been. So, I started to walk up to the log thinking that I had missed. I pulled my map out to mark my location so I could possibly track that big boar the next morning. I got to the log and to my amazement there was a huge 350lb male boar, deader than a doornail, with a small hole right behind the eye. No exit wound (this tells you how thick their skulls really are...a .300 win mag is moving at over 3200 feet per second and it didn't even go through the pigs skull) but the bullet had gone straight into its' brain and killed him instantly. I couldn't have miracled a cleaner or luckier kill than that.

So, from 300 meters out I killed a boar in low light conditions, with only an idea of where the boar was behind the log as it lowered its' head to feed and I hit it exactly where I wanted to.

I once hit a iron bell at 450 meters with a 1853 Lee Enfield and the wasn't bigger than 50 or 60 centimeters. The good part was that there were many people watching. The lucky part was that I was aiming at a target a mere 100 meters out.... and not in the same direction of my original target. How did I do it? I haven't got a clue, but it sure sounded nice when that .58 slug hit that bell..... and one hell of a story too :)

Please define the requirements for "hunting" do you mean animals only?

Hey hunting is hunting,just like a lucky shot is a lucky shot. You can hunt for pinecones for all I care.Or just be target shooting. Some people depending on were they live dont have the capability to hunt without traveling a hundred miles and spending a crap load of money. I live in the boonies so its pretty easy for me to bag a hog, deer or just some small game...legally of course. Im so away from it I still use dial up Internet thankfully this site works just fine.

Very good then, one of the greatest shots I ever did hunting was with a load of rock salt in a 12 gage, I actually managed to NOT hit any cars.
Although my all time greatest still has to be the one I did at 16 hunting squirrel in Arkansas, useinga .177 cal pellet gun. dropped one out of the top of a oak tree with one shot.

Havent been hunting in a while, the economy, blah blah blah all the usual bs, well the wait is finally over, Tomorrow or 5/15/10 we have a little night hunting expidition set up on a local farm. Bringing some lights and maybe some nvg's too. Its been awhile hope im not rusty, you know what they say "its like riding a bike"

wish me luck...

Back