Great Military Sayings

StevenPreece

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because tough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Regards

Steve

"You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-***** die for his"

I like this one

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"" JFK

I can think of none better!

EWCS - Senior Chief, USN/USNR Ret.

Last edited:
I have a little poem for ya....

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave you arms and shout.

EDIT: I cant remember where I got it :-?

Last edited:
"Paper-work will ruin any military force"
General Puller

I like that.

I like most of Patton's quotes, so, I can't pick which one are the best.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
-- Gen. George S. Patton
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
-- Gen. George S. Patton

"God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"You must underwrite the honest mistakes of your subordinates if you wish to develop their initiative and experience."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

"I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself."
-- Gen. Robert E. Lee

"A reflective reading of history will show that no man ever rose to military greatness who could not convince his troops that he put them first, above all else."
-- Gen. Maxwell Taylor

"It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself."
-- Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous impatience. Once implemented they can be easily overturned or subverted through apathy or lack of follow-up, so a continuous effort is required."
-- Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

"Those who are fear'd, are hated."
--Benjamin Franklin

"Optimism is a force multiplier."
--Colin Powell

"There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who ask, 'What happened?'" (I think Casey looked forward and saw some of our current liberals!)
--Casey Stengel

If man does his best what else is there?
--George S. Patton

There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent.
--George S. Patton

Last edited:
Senior Chief said:
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"" JFK

I can think of none better!

EWCS - Senior Chief, USN/USNR Ret.

I'm sure Senior Chief :p

"As I walk thorugh the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest/evilest one in the valley!" (I'v heard many versions of this quote)

"Perpetual peace is a futile dream."

By the way, these are both Gen. Patton quotes.

Last edited:
patton has alot of my fav. quotes

"An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team.
This individuality stuff is a bunch of b******t."

“It is absurd to believe that soldiers who cannot be made to wear the proper uniform can be induced to move forward in battle. Officers who fail to perform their duty by correcting small violations and in enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading.”

"War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula"

if everyone is thinking alike, then someone isnt thinking

"Infantry must move forward to close with the enemy. It must shoot in order to move…. To halt under fire is folly. To halt under fire and not fire back is suicide. Officers must set the example"

"Few men are killed by the bayonet, many are scared by it. Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts"

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.

"Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper hanging son-of-a-***** Hitler. Just like I'd shoot a snake!"

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for I am the baddest mother-f**ker in the whole damned valley"-Staff Sgt. Sykes (Jamie Foxx, JARHEAD)

C/1Lt Henderson said:
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for I am the baddest mother-f**ker in the whole damned valley"-Staff Sgt. Sykes (Jamie Foxx, JARHEAD)

That is a cheap plagerism of a quote from the past.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for I am the evilest son-of-a-***** in the valley.

Back