Grandpa ....Merchant Marines...Quotes? (Please Help!!!)

David

Hi all. I'll cutt to the chase and get right to this... My 88 year old grandpa who was born in 1916 is on his deathbed. Doctors say he does not even have a week left. He was a Merchant Marine during WWII and his career lasted about 30 years. Merchant Marines do not get allot of credit, they are not gun-ho enough like infantry or airforce people say. But he went through allot of stuff during WWII which is incredible. If it wasn't for them, no body would have food or supplies to fight there war. Three of his ships that he was on went down, he took shrapnel to the groin area, and on the last boat that went down, he was stranded in the Atlantic Ocean for 28 days. On his lifeboat only 3 people including him were on it. One day he woke up and one guy was gone. The other guy was drinking salt water and eventually went insane and jumped into the ocean and drowned. So my grandpa was alone. He survived by what was on him. He was able to catch fish and eat them raw. Also when you squeeze a fish, the water that comes out of there gills is freshwater. When he was found he was unconsious, malnurished, and dehidrated. On the otherside of the world, back here in the states his parents got a letter saying he died in action. 3 months later he came home to his parents. I'mnot going through all the details but I think you all get the picture. I need a favor from you all. i need a quote. An awesome quote about Merchant Marines about herosim, bravery ad much much more. I would like to say this quote at his uligy.

David

Found some sites.

Memorial service specifically for Merchant Marines. You could suggest it to the minister or incorporate parts into the service/viewing/wake.

Quotes about the Merchant Marines.

This site has contact info specifically for WWII Merchant Marines. They may be able to assist you.

It's good that you will honor your grandfather and speaks well of the man he is to instill that respect in his children and grandchildren.

Hi David, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

Please send my regards to him, the Merchant Marines did play an important role (but some people tends to forget that)..

Great links Eagle, I hope you can find what you are looking for there David.

Back