government sponsored health care

Do you support government sponsored health care?

• not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• yes

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

There has been some debate about this issue in the US. I would like to have some input from the Canadians on the forum.

As for me, I am against government sponsored health care. I keep myself in decent health. Why should I have to foot the bill for smokers, overweight people, alcoholics, drug users, ect?

Why.......

you shouldn't. In my opinion, the government is getting overly powerful. I just don't understand, why isn't anyone taking a rock-solid stand against the powers that be? Why does it seem so hard to resist the government with more efficiency, or rather guide the government on to the correct and moral path? Why must men complain against their leaders, when many have not given a thought to the person for whom they vote? One who treats the government and voting as a joke has absolutely no room to protest the way that their careless decisions have turned into the nightmare of a government approaching bitter doom because of the mindless people who care not at all for anything not pertaining to their immediate thoughts, feeling or ideals. What has become of reason and sanity? Why must men continuously ignore the things that are uncomfertable or strange? I know that this may sound slightly extreme, but it will soon come to the point of contact when the truth, whatever that absolute truth might be, will tearr away the hands that that shield, the ears that are closed and the mouth that is overly active shall cease to spew forth the filth of the earth. I have said all that I will say for now. And my apollogies for getting off topic.

Well, it works fairly good in Norway!

Also, the odds for getting the necessary surgery drops if the illness is caused by your lifestyle. For instance, a heavy smoker is less likely to get heart-surgery than a non-smoker, especially if he doesen't quit smoking. The reason for this is (no surprise) that he'll need new surgery after a few more smoking years. (At least that's what I've heard)

Europe's done pretty well with the public healthcare system.
I for one, believe in it... but only if it's really efficient. the problem I have with governments working on these things is that they're inefficient, incompetent and are staffed by people who couldn't give a crap about how their work goes. I feel private companies do a better job because for them, their livelihoods depend on the performance of that company.
But there are inherantly things that must be run by government because they by nature run on a loss. For example, Fire services and police forces.

So for me here's a list of things that I think should be guaranteed to all citizens:
- Education up to high school graduation
- Fire and Police services
- Basic health
- Free and fair elections

I'm for a Government run Health Care system, provided it's done right. In Canada, our health care system is 'effective' but far from perfect. People are still getting screwed over from government officials making retarded decisions about the health care system.

Overall though, health care is a good system to have. It allows even the less-fortunate people have access to decent medical services as opposed to just those that can afford it.

That's key. Health care costs can be a disaster, especially if you are someone who gets caught with a disease or are in old age and you have to support your own citizens.
It isn't a big problem if you have a lot of young population but right now in the scenario of potentially having more older population than young working people it is a problem.

I had to say yes due to the fact I'm permanently disabled while serving in the US Army in 1969 and VA has been taking care of me since 1983 when I was Honorably Discharged under VA, or as the Army put it, For The Good Of The Army

SFC

Here in Tennessee, the health care system in place had to shrink or go bankrupt. The issue has made the news here and I watched with interest. I watched one of the people who is going to lose her coverage. She said that "I still need my meds and someone is going to pay for them." She was refereing to how the local governments and hospitals will be forced to pick up the costs. I found that statement to be quite cocky in this land of the free.

Here is an article describing the Tenncare program

TennCare: What Will Change?

While most TennCare enrollees will keep their health coverage, Governor Phil Bredesen is trying to comfort the more than 300,000 people he says will be cut from the program.

The governor made the announcement in special coverage Volunteer TV News carried live at 3:00 Eastern time.

Governor Bredesen says this is not what he envisioned when he promised to fix TennCare, but with what he calls no other choice, hundreds of thousands of Tennesseans are about to left with no health coverage, Volunteer TV’s Lee Merrit reports.

"I'm deeply sorry, but I want you to know I’ve done my best, and I am totally committed to fight for you and the TennCare program in the months and years ahead," says Gov. Phil Bredesen, (D) Tennessee.

Even though Governor Phil Bredesen comes just one step short of dissolving TennCare, he knows the cuts he's making are drastic.

323,000 -- Which is nearly 25 percent of the 1.3 million TennCare enrollees currently covered by the state, are going to losing their health insurance...
READ MORE

Healthcare in the US is way too expensive for people without healthcare insurance and buying the insurance is way too expensive for folks to pay for out of pocket. In Vermont we've been having a big "to do" over the drug prices in Canada. Even our Republican governor wants to have the state healthcare system be able to buy cheaper drugs in Canada but the Federal government won't allow it. Healthcare is a mess in this country not because of the loafers, smokers, and drug addicts though they certainly add their share. It's a mess because of the greedy drug companies and the lawyers and the doctors getting kickbacks from the drug companies. Norway's system sounds very intelligent to me. Abuse your body and get less care.

I'm against it. The American spirit is all about individuality, self reliance, and strength. Government run health care, welfare, ect. goes against those ideals to an extent. I know I'd be a lot more comfortable if I depended on myself for healthcare rather than depended on the government, becasue I'm perfectly capable of doing so and don't need the charity from someone else.

The issue arises with those who are not capable of doing so, however.

Well it seems the US folk against it are pretty young so of course it's not much of a concern for their healthcare. US folks so far for it are much older and a little more aware of just what it means to them personally. I think that when you younger guys get a little greyer you'll be singing a different tune. Try paying a hundred bucks for medicine you have to have to live every week and see how long it is before you get pissed about it. Particularly when you know full well you can get it for about $12 in Canada. Many folks pay much more than that.

Back