The Gay Rights Movement is the New Civil Rights Movement. 6 13.04%
No One Is Born Gay. 7 15.22%
Civil Unions are a good middle ground 10 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

February 10th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Hasnt this thread flogged itself to death?

The fact of the matter is, some support gay marriage, others don't.
February 10th, 2009  
rattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
This is what I voted...

I Am Against Gay Marriage.
The Government Has No Right To Say Who Someone Can or Can't Marry.
Marriage Should Always Be Between A Man And A Woman.
Gay Marriage Destroys Family Values.
Laws Against Gay Marriage Are A Step Back For Society.
Gay Pride Parades Are Ridiculous.

I am 100% against homosexual marriage. I am 100% against the open flaunting of homosexual relationships. I am 100% against the idea that being gay means you should be treated special.

I believe that if you want to be gay. Fine.... keep it in the bedroom or at least act responsible in public. Most of what I have seen of Gay Pride Parades are nothing but open displays of sexual acts. Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida and the Homosexual events that happen in San Francisco, California. Those are all simply public sex acts. People performing sexual intercourse on public streets, perform oral sex, etc... WRONG!

You want to be gay... fine. You want to kiss your partner in public fine. You want to show affection. Fine. But don't do what most of the more vocal part of the gay community does. Act Responsible. I have very close people to me that are gay. Both male and female.... I have no issue with them being gay. As a Catholic I am against them marrying someone but that is an issue between me, them, and God. But it is the same issue with abortions. I am against abortions but I will not support any law outlawing them.

But I am also 100% against the State stepping in and saying who can and can't get married. Even though I am against homosexual relationships I will stand up and support them getting the right for marriage. The State has not right to deny them that right. Just as the State has no right to deny me my rights to free speech and my right to keep and bear arms.

You cannot have a one set of rights while not having another. You cannot give the State power over matters like this. Because once that is done the State will expand.... and that is bad.
Interesting:

I think along the same big lines as you, but vote differently, and I use (partially) the same arguments for my take that you do:

• I Support Gay Marriage.
  • The Government Has No Right To Say Who Someone Can or Can't Marry.
  • This Doesn't Affect Me, Why Should I Deny It To Someone Else?
  • Laws Against Gay Marriage Are A Step Back For Society.
  • Gay Pride Parades Are Ridiculous.
Let me droodle it up: As well as you, I am 100% against the idea that being gay means you should be treated special.

Being gay is just that, like being hetero, no difference from my POV. No reason to be proud of either, none of both states is your personal achievement (which would give you the right to be proud). Basically, I think the "Gay Pride" thing comes from the guys being proud of having found the guts to come out of the closet. (?)

Along the same lines as you, I believe that if you want to be gay: Fine.... keep it in the bedroom or at least act responsible in public. Like I would tell every hetero. Re: the public sex acts, they are not at all confined to the gay community, I think its a sign of the times (I dont like it, but who gives a damn, and who should): Check the Love Parade in Berlin: Same layout, hetero (if you look for the expressive details you describe, the - hetero - vids are out there).

Again, as you state (slight differences here as I am not Catholic), I also have very close people to me that are gay. Both male and female.... I have no issue with them being gay. As a Protestant I feel I am not to judge them marrying someone but that that is an issue between them, and God. It is the same issue with abortions. I am against abortions but I will not support any law outlawing them. My logical conclusion: I will not support any law outlawing gay marriages.

Again with your next argument, you are spot on: I am also 100% against the State stepping in and saying who can and can't get married. Even if I were against homosexual relationships (which I am not as for the reasons above) I would stand up and support them getting the right for marriage. The State has no right to deny them that right. Just as the State has no right to deny me my rights to free speech (skipped the arms bit as it is not part of my constituion, add other rights here).

Last one I can again subscribe fully: You cannot have a one set of rights while not having another. You cannot give the State power over matters like this. Because once that is done the State will expand.... and that is bad.

Politicians are supposedly (thats the idea of representative democracy) representing their society, societey changes over years, so the laws will change (eventually, the filter through representation is a good shield against fast - and hence often wrong - decisions, something IMHO that we can only fully appreciate once we have grwon older).

My take,

Rattler
February 10th, 2009  
The Other Guy

New idea on my front...

Eliminate civil marriage. Make the Government version a civil union for everyone. Marriage shall go back to being a religious-only thing, supporting seperation of church and state. Use the same rules that apply to the current civil marriage, but under a different name accessible to all. This also preserves the "sanctity of marriage."
--
Boots
February 11th, 2009  
Rob Henderson

Hmmm... Interesting concept... I'd be for it.