You gotta be kidding me, I'm a Cpl now!

Cdt Matteo

This took me completely by surprise, but now I'm Corporal. I'm really good friends with one of the officers and she realised I had great potential. She pushed the CO of my Corps to promote me to Corporal but I only got the mandatory promotion like all the other cadets that joined with me at the same time did, Pte (thanks all for the correction!). Well today we were doing our practice of march passes all frigging day long in +30 celcius wheather and finally we came to the awards practice (a review of falling out and in of ranks to get your award/whatever). We did a few practices and then one of the officers called me: Cpl Matteo! In my mind I'm like wtf... I'm a Pte. Whatever I go up in front and they hand me my Corporal badge and epilets. Almost started crying of joy. Man, what a day. I'll post a pic of my Tunic to show you it when my dad is done with the camera (on monday since he's on a trip).

Holy crap. That didn't take very long.

Well, congratulations Corporal. Now comes the test of Leadership. Good luck.

Congratulations! :)

Reminds me of a friend in the navy, ha had spendt half of his time in the service in the EW room on a frigate, and suddenly he was promoted from private to "enlisted-sergeant" just like that. :shock:
He never found out why, but he never thought of his work in the EW room as any outstanding performance, and why he ended up in an office on shore was a complete mystery to most people.

congrats(yes, rats that live in congo).

thats just fine i went from private to first sargent in 8 months:)

Private to First Sergeant in 8 months? They promote quickly in the Israeli Army. It takes the average Canadian soldier 4 years just to make Cpl.

Private to First Sergeant in 8 months? They promote quickly in the Israeli Army. It takes the average Canadian soldier 4 years just to make Cpl

well we dont have Pfc. and combat troops take 8 months to become Cpls. It took me a year and 4 months. than i started tank commanders course and finnished after 4 months so i got my sargent stripes. and than les than a month later i was promoted to First Sargent by my Betallion commander, basicaly because all the other commanders from my conscription date got theres. actually i should have waited 4 more months but he gave it to me early cause he liked me and my company commader liked me.

Private to First Sergeant in 8 months? They promote quickly in the Israeli Army. It takes the average Canadian soldier 4 years just to make Cpl.

Bear in mind that Israeli ranks work a little bit differently than you may be used to. From what I can tell promotions (up to a certain point of which I am unsure) are based on time in service, and thus happen faster than those in European and North American militaries.

Please, Sherman, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bear in mind that Israeli ranks work a little bit differently than you may be used to. From what I can tell promotions (up to a certain point of which I am unsure) are based on time in service, and thus happen faster than those in European and North American militaries.

Well, that's a given that other militaries promote their troops differently, and Canada has to be one of the slower ones. 4 years for Cpl (and I'll have mine within the next 4 months), and if you're lucky, you can make Sgt within 8-10 years.

this is off toppic, but your corect. ball park figures for promotion in IDF (enlisted man in mandatory service, combat/front line duties):
Cpl(there is no Pfc):8 months
Sgt:18 months
First Sgt:28 months

Youre results can verie:)

this is off toppic, but your corect. ball park figures for promotion in IDF (enlisted man in mandatory service, combat/front line duties):
Cpl(there is no Pfc):8 months
Sgt:18 months
First Sgt:28 months

Youre results can verie:)

Short promotion periods.

Anyway, yes. This has gotten off topic. Back to where we should be...wherever that is. :???: :p

Back