Got me a new pet....

There's just something about snakes that is instilled in our psyche that says "natural enemy." I think it goes back to primordial man when snakes were natural predators of man who could reach us in trees or any other hiding place.

I'm more of a cat person. Snakes require too much care with the heating lamps and that stuff. Plus cats come pre-housebroken.

Heating lamps? Care?

I have a small heat pad under the tank, a little hide house for her, and a water dish. That's it.... nothing else. Oh I feed her twice a month. Rat pup cost $2.95 a pop. So that's $5.90 a month in food.

Cats are not pre-housebroken. You have to declaw them or train them not to claw up stuff. You have to train them how to go into a box. Clean up after their messes.

I've lived with roommates that owned cats. Disgusting creatures. The litter box was always filthy and the damn cat clawed up everything. I will never own a cat for as long as I live.

I had three of them, 2 died, and the other one who is 18 will probably die soon. And we got 2 kittens about 5 months ago. They're really easy to care of since they bathe themselves, never have an annoying bark, and they're just nice to have around. They're not that bad, but I agree that it's a pain with the declawing and constant litter box changing.

I have solved these problems by getting a rabbit. Also two terrapins.
They don't make a sound, they just do their thing. No heat box, no bull. Can even give leftover vegetables to the rabbit and leftover meat to the turtles.

I was taking out the trash today almost stepped on a snake barefoot right out the door. My cat had wounded it, so I took a coathanger and relocated it to the canefield by my house. When the cat tried to attack it again I caught his head in the hanger and brought him inside.

Pics later.

I've lived with roommates that owned cats. Disgusting creatures. The litter box was always filthy and the damn cat clawed up everything. I will never own a cat for as long as I live.
Depends on the cat.

I have a cat and he is NOT disgusting. He was bred as an indoor cat and if the mother is litter box trained she does the training for the babies. When he was little I had him fully de-clawed as he is an inside cat.

The kids I babysit also have a cat...now she is disgusting. She was a barn cat and they have her as an indoor cat now. They keep her litter box in the kids upstairs bathroom...which with a normal cat wouldn't be a big deal. however, this cat throws dirty litter all over the floor, (and I mean ALL over). It's horribly disgusting and I've told the kids they aren't allowed to go potty upstairs because my stomach just churns thinking about them walking around in there.

No matter what your insurance or other documentation says, nobody truly owns a cat :)

'Tis true. Cats are snotty little buggers. High and mighty, stinky, lazy beasts. I love cats, but I'd love them a lot more if they were more like dogs. :p

Dogs have masters, cats have staff. LOL

Sevens - "Dogs have masters, cats have staff".

NOT SO LOUD!!! You'll wake the master.

I just don't 'get' snakes as pets. They are not cuddly, they don't purr, bark, or play and when you look at one in the eye you get the distinct impression the snake is trying to figure out the best way to eat you.

Sevens - "Dogs have masters, cats have staff".

NOT SO LOUD!!! You'll wake the master.

I just don't 'get' snakes as pets. They are not cuddly, they don't purr, bark, or play and when you look at one in the eye you get the distinct impression the snake is trying to figure out the best way to eat you.

I think that's why I enjoy having them as pets. They're cold, calculating, and just plain predator.

But they also are fun to have. They're not cuddly but they are great pets. They don't bark, they don't claw, and they do not cause trouble. Hold them is simple. They enjoy being held (if they were not wild) and they're fun to watch.

Back