Got another rifle....

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Got another rifle (Pics)....

At work today my partner shows me an early 1970s production Colt SP1. It's the first civilian AR-15 model to hit the market. It is in prefect condition. Well, I made him an offer he couldn't refuse and I walked home with it...

He threw in the original sling, 20rd magazine with steel follower, M7 bayonet, and A2 replacement handguards for it.

I've wanted to start getting rifles of the Vietnam era and it looks like this is a good start.

Pictures coming soon....

Last edited:
No forward assist? That's old-school. :rambo:

I've been wanting a Colt SP1 for a while. They were the first civilian AR-15s to be sold on the market. They are 100% old school. Semi-automatic clones of the first issued M16s in Vietnam. Before the M16A1 with a Forward Assist. I did replace the forward handguards though with A2 round style. Never liked the triangle design.

The first civilian model released here in Australia had no butt trap and a three pronged flash eliminator. I can't abide by the new round hand guard, I guess it takes all types, eh?

ar15.jpg

Last edited:
No forward assist? That's old-school. :rambo:

I've fired many thousands of rounds out of mine including the early issue "dirty propellant" rounds in a very dry dusty environment and never needed the forward assist.

It may be different in a battlefield scenario, but if you clean your weapon it's not a big deal.

Wow, thats all i can say. I thought my modified AR-15 was nice, but this is beautiful.
I will take it off your h
ands... if you don't want it:angel:

Very nice!!!!!:thumb:
But why replace the handguard and "ruin" that "old school" look instead of adding a "old school" flash hider and go completly "retro"?
It may be different in a battlefield scenario, but if you clean your weapon it's not a big deal.
I second this!!!

But anyways, you got another fine rifle!!!!
:cheers:

Oh, man, slab sides make me tingle where I pee! Very, very nice!

Who threw that A2 flash hider on it? :bang:

I don't even want to ask what that set you back, even as a Title I. Yikes! I wish I could afford one!

I'd say SCORE!

Nice piece there 5.56. As I recall, in the 70's they (M16 A1s) all had the flash suppressor ring, at least the ones any unit I was in had them. The M-16 AE had the forked suppressor and lit up like a torch in the jungle at night. And the although the flat sided hand guards seemed a little harder to remove for maintenance, I would prefer them to the round ones.
BTW, the forward assist on the M-16 A1 came in handy on more than a few occasions in combat situations. We didn't always have the opportunity to clean the weapon (too busy using the things). I think the rounds weren't always up to spec or as clean as they could have been and that would also cause situations where the forward assist would come in handy.

Can't the forward assist also be used to load a round more quickly when you change mags? I've never shot an AR-15 pattern rifle more than 5 times.

Can't the forward assist also be used to load a round more quickly when you change mags? I've never shot an AR-15 pattern rifle more than 5 times.

I think you're thinking of the bolt release. The AR15 platforms all have last round hold opens, so once you get a new mag in you just slap the bolt release and then nudge the forward assist. No need to operate the charging handle, in other words.

The FA doesn't make it faster, it just ensures that the first round is throated fully and goes bang. It's not even needed for a reload but we get into the habit of doing it just to make sure. "Click" isn't something you want to hear with a full sight picture.

Thanks for clearing that up. Kinda funny I have more experience with the Kalashnikovs and Vorgrimler type rifles than the American black rifle.

Back