Gosh, you can't even trust astronauts nowadays!

perseus

Fake Dutch 'moon rock' revealed

_46281213_007855037-1.jpg
The lump of 'moon rock' had been on display for decades

A treasured piece at the Dutch national museum - a supposed moon rock from the first manned lunar landing - is nothing more than petrified wood, curators say.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8226075.stm

No doubt the lunar conspiracy theorists will be getting excited!

I KNEW it! :D

After I saw this video I'm 100% sure it's all a hoax... :lol:

Proof of fake moonlanding

Of course the conspiracy nuts have already commented on the fake moonrock in that youtube clip as well... :p

From the article:

"It was given to former Prime Minister Willem Drees during a goodwill tour by the three Apollo-11 astronauts shortly after their moon mission in 1969.
When Mr Drees died, the rock went on display at the Amsterdam museum."

Since it was given to the Prime Minister around 1969 and then to the museum after his death. Is there any possibility the rock was stolen and replaced?

After all when the insurance company insured it wouldn't they have verified the authenticity then. It would seem they may be on the hook now for the policy.

I said at some point and that I heard.
I can't verify that it actually was insured for that much.
I can't verify at what specific dates it was in fact under that insurance if ever at all.
I said "it's what I heard." I don't necessarily believe it either but I have picked up on this rumor and maybe someone else knows more about it.

I said at some point and that I heard.
I can't verify that it actually was insured for that much.
I can't verify at what specific dates it was in fact under that insurance if ever at all.
I said "it's what I heard." I don't necessarily believe it either but I have picked up on this rumor and maybe someone else knows more about it.

I had read the article so had seen the reference to insurance. I was not commenting on your post. I was just wondering in general where the item had been all those years. The article states the museum got the rock after the Prime ministers death. If there had been a real moon rock, who knows what happened to it in 40 years.

Saw Buz Aldrin at the VFW convention last week and he looked fit enough to go back and get a replacement.:)

You might try clicking on the link in the original post and reading the 4th paragraph.

"At one point it was insured for around $500,000 (£308,000), but tests have proved it was not the genuine article."

That should confirm what you heard.

Back