Gortex

ruger322003

will gortex get runed if it gets muddy i have a 1st sgt that says it does i know hes god but i think he is wrong can anybody tell me?

ahahh i really hope not or there will be thousands upon thousands of hunters that will be very disappointed ... for the simple answer no, they've been making hunting boots out of gortex "suppressant" fabric for years and i own a pair or two and trust me theve been through some hellacious mud and all you gotta do is wash them with a hose and there good as new. but blood on the other hand tends to stain...

You can spray them over with water repellent to maximize it's effectiveness. Heck, some of those sprays make an ordinary shoe almost as effective as gortex! Though without the insulation etc etc.
Gortex rules man.

Rocky_Raccoon said:
ahahh i really hope not or there will be thousands upon thousands of hunters that will be very disappointed ... for the simple answer no, they've been making hunting boots out of gortex "suppressant" fabric for years and i own a pair or two and trust me theve been through some hellacious mud and all you gotta do is wash them with a hose and there good as new. but blood on the other hand tends to stain...

hunters bah, it would be our soldiers who would be in the shizzle, if that happened.

If youre talking about gortex in boots,yeah it is great stuff until they get soaked through then you have the heaviest bastards on the battlefield.

As I recall, Goretex loses it's water repelency over time from dirt getting into the fiber weave. A good cleaning and reapplication of Goretex approved water repelent would fix it so it wouldn't be ruined by dirt, just degraded until fixed.

Like I said, give it a good water repellent spray coating and it'll work superb. Those sprays last a long time and they are pretty cheap... especially considering how long one of those cans lasts.

Gortex does get ruined, when dirt engrains itself into the weave... thats why most issued stuff has a gortex membrane between fabric, so that it keeps it's water proofing and the outer canvass or whatever gets dirty. In my experience you want a leather outer (nubuk) and then a gortex inner or again a membrane... and as was stated earlier, when you do get them wet, it's like having two cinder blocks as feet.

Charge_7 said:
As I recall, Goretex loses it's water repelency over time from dirt getting into the fiber weave. A good cleaning and reapplication of Goretex approved water repelent would fix it so it wouldn't be ruined by dirt, just degraded until fixed.

actually the Army has a system for maintaining Goretex. When I was active duty the first time around, I was down in the supply room and saw a memo on Goretex. It said that Goretex should be turned in once a year for some kind of treatment to maintain the waterproofing. I guess no one bothers to tell anyone about it though.

On the other hand, I just put a good coat of Camp Dry on my Goretex and my ruck in a futile attempt to keep me dry in the field.

That's right, Doody. The turn in for re-waterproofing was what I was refering to. I remember being shown that directive when my Goretex parka and pants were issued. You're also right that apparently nobody follows that directive. I can't recall it being put in effect in my unit.

Back