Gordon says Vickers not a teammate

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Technically, Brian Vickers is Jeff Gordon's Hendrick Motorsports teammate. Well, for nine more races at least. Certainly, Gordon doesn't seem to mind that Vickers is leaving after this season, especially not after some hard driving led to some harsh words on Friday. "He's my teammate, but he's not my teammate because he's moving on next year," Gordon said. "I raced him harder than he wanted me to race him earlier in the race. I could give all the reasons and excuses, but it doesn't do any good." The two raced each other hard at New Hampshire, and Vickers rankled Gordon when he wouldn't let the former champ pass. Gordon, fourth in the points standings, even complained on the radio to his team that he hoped Vickers knew that he was racing for a championship. "It did cost us time, Gordon said. "Right now he's in a tough position. He's moving on to a new team. He hasn't been able to win races like other guys at Hendrick Motorsports. He wants it bad and he's driving hard and I think it was just a little lapse in judgment." Vickers finished fifth; Gordon third. Vickers will drive for Team Red Bull in 2007. "It's not a guy that's out there trying to help you win a championship," Gordon said.(FoxSports/AP)

Back