From 'Gook' to 'Raghead' - Page 7

--
Boots

June 5th, 2005  
DTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Don't give me that combat experience . What did you sign up for mate? Tea and crumpets? I wasn't trying to lecture or offend veterans in any way. But you can't seriously tell me that in the 21st century, soldiers of a western superpower feel the need to abuse non-combatants just because they are in a war zone, big deal you got shot at, big deal your mates been killed, big deal you miss your family, these are the hazards of the job and we need to learn to deal with them without needing to flip out. I don't care if a terroist in a far away land ties up your friends and beats them to death, when he drops his weapon, he IS a non-combatant and he SHOULD be treated accordingly.

You can hammer me with your "what would you knows?" all you like, I AM right and if you can't see that, then it's Psych evaluation time.
OK Craftsman, this nonsense needs to stop. I don't know what you read into my comment but it was in response to your generalized verbal assault on the American military. I made and continue to make no comment on the original article. There were a number of posters on that page whom I respect.
Regardless of how worthless you think our combat experience is, I can tell you that it does change your perspective on everything. You can believe whatever you want. Frankly, I don't care one tiny bit.
Now if you would care to discuss this any further with me, PM me.

Note: Regardless of your personal opinion on any subject, you need to watch your language. I trust you are able to express yourself without resorting to four letter words. You can also PM me about this if you'd like.
June 5th, 2005  
Locke

specifics aside he does raise a good point, when you are in the uniform, any uniform, you are a representative and you have to act like it and hold yourself to higher standards than are expected of people who aren't in uniform, that is how you get respect.

back on topic i belive that when in combat the forces will call the opposition insulting names as a way of making themselves feel better about being in a situation. by calling them names/verbally abusing them it gives the person the impression they have some power over the other side.
at least thats what i think
June 5th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop
OK Craftsman, this nonsense needs to stop. I don't know what you read into my comment but it was in response to your generalized verbal assault on the American military. I made and continue to make no comment on the original article. There were a number of posters on that page whom I respect.
Regardless of how worthless you think our combat experience is, I can tell you that it does change your perspective on everything. You can believe whatever you want. Frankly, I don't care one tiny bit.
Now if you would care to discuss this any further with me, PM me.

Well said Top as usual.
--
Boots
June 5th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke
specifics aside he does raise a good point, when you are in the uniform, any uniform, you are a representative and you have to act like it and hold yourself to higher standards than are expected of people who aren't in uniform, that is how you get respect.

back on topic i belive that when in combat the forces will call the opposition insulting names as a way of making themselves feel better about being in a situation. by calling them names/verbally abusing them it gives the person the impression they have some power over the other side.
at least thats what i think
Actually a soldier in any service is in business to kill people and break their stuff. If you don't realize that, don't join, you won't even make it through basic training. War is defined as when all diplomatic means are exhausted and the dogs of war are unleashed. If it's just the uniform that enamors you, join the Boy Scouts.
June 5th, 2005  
Locke

actually, i thought the job of a soldier was to be a peacemaker, which, if the situations necessitates it, includes violent means. i understand that a soldiers job includes killing but that is not thier primary purpose and IMO, thats the opinion that makes people think that the military is full of nothing but blood thirsty killers,
oh late however, it seems that the military is used before all diplomatic options have been exhasted becuase one side does not have the patience to wait for all avenues to be exhansted and by continually speaking of impending danger, they get it into everyones mind that is ok to cut corners
June 6th, 2005  
03USMC

Mission of the Marine Corps Fire Team.

"To close with and Destroy the enemy thru fire and close combat."

(paraphrased for brevity) I'm sure the Army has somthing similar that applies to their Infantry.

The main mission of the military is to defend their Nation. Generally accomplished as Missileer stated by killing people and breaking things. Peace Keeping is secondary.

And the retorts that this kid is getting is directly related to his insulting and disparging of the US Armed Forces. And his personal attitude toward a respected Veteran.
June 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz

hmmmmmmm

it seems the ANZAC's and the yanks are squaring off again.

if the opinion is held that you're sent to iraq as "dogs of war" rather than the proposed aim of removing a brutal dictator/to get those WMD's/destroy al queida & then rebuild iraq into a nice happy democracy, you really are giving islamic fighters as much amunition as they need.

but craftsman is right...you go out of your way to be the good guy and the people will love you for it. there have been too many stories/inquiries about soldiers mistreating prisoners for it to go away. these are people that shouldn't be in uniform...IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN!

is really any surprise though? troops are being kept in iraq for too long, doing jobs they weren't trained for (prison guards etc). something had to give.

but don't come crashing down on a member here because he doesn't share the same US centric opinion as the rest of you...look outside your own borders, you'll find people have opinions that are JUST as valid as your own. need i remind you that australia has supported the US to the hilt in iraq?
June 6th, 2005  
03USMC

Lemme break it down for you chewie.

No 18 year old kid can tell me what responsibilties I have when I wear/wore my Countries uniform. Nor will I sit idlly by and listen to a kid disparge the Combat Service of any member on this board( regardless of Nationality )when he knows feck all about such service. That is wrong and disrespectful. I chose not to respond to that because I felt Top handled the issue with more tact than I could have.

So it's not that he doesn't share a US Centric opinion with me. You and I have had similar discussions have we not? My issue was his lecture and holier than thou tone directed at people who had worn a uniform and served their country/countries while Junior was still playing with the strange and wonderful things he found in his nappies.
June 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Mission of the Marine Corps Fire Team.

"To close with and Destroy the enemy thru fire and close combat."

(paraphrased for brevity) I'm sure the Army has somthing similar that applies to their Infantry.
non combatants?

Quote:
And the retorts that this kid is getting is directly related to his insulting and disparging of the US Armed Forces. And his personal attitude toward a respected Veteran.
two points here,
1) i have read and re-read his post and can't find for the life of me what was insulting...care to point it out?

Quote:
I'm not saying the stories are true, but anyone who finds behaviour like that towards anyone is a disgrace to any uniform and i would be disgraced to serve next to them.

I don't know how many of you are actual soldiers, nor am i very aware of other countries military training techniques... But in the Australian army our soldiers code doesn't suggest that we have the Right to treat other human being like just because they cose a different side to us.

If you Americans think that you are better, more civillised, people with a Better sense of decency then those of the middle east then you should act like it and set an example when you are on foreign soil. I don't mean to single America out as the only or worst offender, EVERYONE should understand that when you wear your countries uniform, you are a representitive.
2) are veterans not capable of any wrong doing? there is NOTHING stopping this "kid" from being deployed in Australias next deployment from the looks of it...so i think a "cool it" attitude is needed from ALL sides of this arguement. there is nothing that says that his opinion is worth any less than someone that was sent to iraq

thankyou.
June 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Lemme break it down for you chewie.

No 18 year old kid can tell me what responsibilties I have when I wear/wore my Countries uniform.
i'm sure there are "kids" being sent to iraq right now....and when they get back (at the ripe old age of 20-21) do they then have the right to express an opinion.

this is an INTERNATIONAL discussion board, if you can't handle what someone from another country (a staunch ally of the US i might add) has to say, i suggest you find a US only message board.