From 'Gook' to 'Raghead' - Page 5




 
--
Boots
 
May 6th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer
 
Chewy, you sayin' our media is tiltled to the right? You sayin' that?


Also, anti-americanism in the middle-east can only help to fuel Islamic extremism, I doubt it's pushed many into it, but it certainly gives it a little wind to it's back.

Unlike our apparently over zealous religious right-wing nut media, we won'tt contemplate joining a terrorist jihad.

So no, Al-jazerra and American media outlets are not equal.
May 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
My thought is...
What is happening with Al-Jezeera, as biased as they are, is that they are raising a whole generation numbering hundreds of millions to hate the US, to hate the West, to hate Israel. Do you think that's a good thing? The consecounces may be more far-reaching than you think.
no, current and past actions in the middle east is what is raising a whole NEW generation of people who hate america. otherwise, why was there anti american extremisim in the middle east before al jazeera.
May 6th, 2005  
gladius
 
Part of what you are saying is right there was anti-american extremisim in the middle east before Al Jezzera.

However AL Jezzera is fanning the flames for a whole new generation of extremist. This new generation has to look no further than their own "news" source to validate their hate of the US, the West, and Israel. So in essence it is raising, or helping to raise a new generation to hate.

Perhaps what Chocobo said would be more accurate, basicly it is not what made them, but it certainly is helping to push them there.

And that's not a good thing, more than likely it will have far-reaching consequences.
--
Boots
May 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
Part of what you are saying is right there was anti-american extremisim in the middle east before Al Jezzera.

However AL Jezzera is fanning the flames for a whole new generation of extremist. This new generation has to look no further than their own "news" source to validate their hate of the US, the West, and Israel. So in essence it is raising, or helping to raise a new generation to hate.

Perhaps what Chocobo said would be more accurate, basicly it is not what made them, but it certainly is helping to push them there.

And that's not a good thing, more than likely it will have far-reaching consequences.

but then by the same token you can flip your arguement and say the the US media is just encouraging the US populace to be even more inward looking, because the world hates us/are envious of our things etc. why then should people spend the time looking for the real truth, when the media is just backing up what they think already?

this is where responsible journalists take the offensive and challenge peoples views
May 6th, 2005  
gladius
 
If the media presents facts, then what the people are thinking, is exactly what they should be thinking.

But if the media spins angry venomus rethoric (such as Al Jezeera) then thats a different story, they are fanning the flames of extremism.

And if your idea of "real truth" is a left wing slanted newcast (such as the BBC who I already said is getting flak for bias), then thats just not real truth.

Quote:
this is where responsible journalists take the offensive and challenge peoples views
This should be saved for the editorial pages not the news itself. God forbid, those "responsible journalist" views just might be wrong.

From what you said above, you seem to think its alright for the left to slant the news, but when its slants to the middle or right its no longer okay.
May 6th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
If the media presents facts, then what the people are thinking, is exactly what they should be thinking.

But if the media spins angry venomus rethoric (such as Al Jezeera) then thats a different story, they are fanning the flames of extremism.

And if your idea of "real truth" is a left wing slanted newcast (such as the BBC who I already said is getting flak for bias), then thats just not real truth.

Quote:
this is where responsible journalists take the offensive and challenge peoples views
This should be saved for the editorial pages not the news itself. God forbid, those "responsible journalist" views just might be wrong.

From what you said above, you seem to think its alright for the left to slant the news, but when its slants to the middle or right its no longer okay.
I these definitions of left, right and extremist media are formed more by the individual making the judgment than by any major leaning on behalf of the media (media will always be slanted towards its target audience but not necessarily to the point of inaccuracy)..
May 6th, 2005  
A Can of Man
 
 
This is kind of why I want to go and find out for myself.
Stories from Iraq have been diverse as stories from a city. Some blokes came back and said they had the time of their lives and talked about how friendly the people were.
One US Marine aircraft armorer was on the phone with a friend of mine (ex-Army) crying about how he was a doctor of death.
The only way to really find out is to go there I guess... and even then I'll only get a part of the picture.
May 13th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike
 
 

Topic: Re: From 'Gook' to '*******'


IRT THREAD:

And people still wonder why so many Iraqis join the ranks of the insurgents.
May 15th, 2005  
A Can of Man
 
 
I guess you wonder why Iraqis showed up to vote in a new government.
May 15th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I guess you wonder why Iraqis showed up to vote in a new government.
No I don't. Wanting American troops to leave and voting for a new government are not mutually exclusive.