Google earth images of the Iranian air bases

phoenix80

Banned

8th Khatam Air Force Base, home of the Iranian F-14s

Bandar Abbas naval air station - You can see some SH-3D helicopters

Shiraz 7th air force base, southern Iran... Home of the air force Su-24s and P-3F aircrafts

1st Mehrabad air base in west of Tehran. Home of MiG-29A/UB. Moreover it is the transportation hub of the air force

Last edited:
more images

Mehrabad 1st Tactical air base, Tehran... Notice the Cobra gunships and one F-4E Phantom in the right photo.

3rd Tactical fighter base, Hamedan, central Iran. Notice the ex-Iraqi air force jets now being used as decoys.

Last edited:
The 80s was 20 odd years ago, one would think someone would have at least covered them up out of sheer boredom.
When we had those odd moments where there was nothing to do our company sergeant would think of something. Anything. Usually painting some wall.

The 80s was 20 odd years ago, one would think someone would have at least covered them up out of sheer boredom.
When we had those odd moments where there was nothing to do our company sergeant would think of something. Anything. Usually painting some wall.

They may not even be bomb crates... It can be holes dug by them to make it look like bombed places. Who knows?

And that part of the base is a storage place and not being used any more. As you see they're decoys. Or they may have never cared to fill them up... LOL

Well if it was some kind of decoy, they would try to paint realistic bomb damage over the cement as well.
That part being a storage area might be the explanation... and may give a good indicator at the lack of discipline in the Iranian armed forces.

Well if it was some kind of decoy, they would try to paint realistic bomb damage over the cement as well.
That part being a storage area might be the explanation... and may give a good indicator at the lack of discipline in the Iranian armed forces.

Well, it is a large area. I have been there but I doubt it has any thing to do with discipline. Orders are orders in any military... :hide:

Last edited:
I don't mean just low level discipline. I also mean higher up discipline. How clean they run their facilities etc.
Having 20 year old craters around your base usually isn't a good sign. Who knows. Maybe it's there to serve as a reminder of some sorts. Heck, maybe they even maintain them for all I know.

Back