a good way to handle stress in training?

The interval training that BD meantioned above is one of the best ways to train your endurance.

The one key to running distance like that is to keep a steady pace. That should be a fast pace, but keep it steady. During cross country season, the people who run in spurts, that is, people who run for half a mile, then walk for half a mile, are the slowest people on the team.

If I were you, make sure that you are running with the right form (yes there is a correct form) and breathing the correct way. After that, its all about training.

With these sort of steps, and a lot of training like what BD said, I was able to push my 5k time down under 20 min.

I have severe shin splints. I have not ran (until this past thursday) for 4 months. Before that is was off and on as pain and the doctors permitted. I still ran a 27 minute 3 mile. Weak yes, but between the pain and losing all my conditioning it is not bad. *Remembers glory days* I used to run a 21 minute 3 mile. I have seen people run a 16:30 3 mile. It is all about conditioning your body and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.

Your overall upper body strength sucks unless you did the push-ups then did the pull-ups right away.

To improve your upper body strength do pyramid pull-ups/pushups at the end of the day:

Week one:
5 pullups then 15 pushups
4 pullups then 15 pushups
3 pullups then 15 pushups
2 pullups then 15 pushups
1 pullup then 15 puhups

Once a day every day for 2-3 weeks. Rest every Saturday and Sunday. There is such a thing as overtraining.

If the above is too easy (from what you say I think the above is a good starting point for you) start at 6 pullups and count down from there with 15 pushups in between.

Week 4 - 5:
Start at 6 pullups and count down with 15 pushups in between. Do them all correctly.

Then move on to 7 pullups and count down etc etc. If you can not progress this fast, of course, take your time. The goal is to finish all the exercises correctly. Take no more than a 60 second rest between each set of pullups/pushup.

I am currently at 17 pullups. I have worked my way up to the 7 pullup mark. I improved my max pullup by 5. All my Marines have improved their pullups as well using this mehtod. I have to give kudos to my MSgt for making us get out there and do it though. Now that he has started us on this I will have to see it through to completion where myself and my Marines get 20 pullups in one go (max score).

Since the Army bases it's PFT off of Pushups I would consider doing some sets of pushups during the day. Say two sets of 40 spaced a few hours apart.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sound off with a Roger that.
No more, no less.

Then return outdoors to train.

Anything else would be an insult to the gentlemen who have taken the time to advice him in this here thread.

//KJ.

There's another kind of conditioning you might want to try.
Mental and Determination conditioning.

Double Ups is a good form to work on both those issues if you've got the integrity to keep honest with it.

Double Ups work like this:

Take, for example, a 3 mile run. Set the lowest exceptable to 30 seconds faster (less time) than your best so far. IF you make the time then you are done with the run that day. If you do not make the time then you run it again but not with a time constraint, just run it hard.

You can do the same with walking. Set a distance of, say, 5 miles, set a time limit of slightly faster than reasonable for you and then either make it or do it twice.

This helps you get it through your head that you can do more than you are doing and you can do it better if properly motivated.
It also teaches you that not making the goal adds even more pain and hardship than if you'd just sucked it up and made the goal in the first place.

This isn't something you'd want to do every day but once a week or so.

Oh, nearly forgot... on the original question, how to handle stress...

Two options come to mind. One is proactive the other reactive.

Proactive: Before you take off for basic, get a note from your doctor explaining that you have an adverse reaction to loud noises and should be handled with an especially quiet tone.
Also get a note from your preacher/priest/whatever that says you are a real nice and gentle youngster and special care should be taken to ensure that you dont get treated harshly. Also, get a note from your mother saying that she wants to be personally contacted if and when you do anything wrong and that the instructors should be careful not to over tire you because then you might not sleep very well.
Hand all the notes to the first instructor you see when you exit the bus.

After the intake instructors get through with you, you will be either dead or immune to further stress and the rest of basic will be a breeze.

The reactive: ********** or find a quiet place to cry a lot.

Bwahahahahaaaaaaah*cough*hahahahahahahaha!

You jogged me memory cobber... we had a guy in basic, name shall remain unsaid, who was caught one night by our Senior Drill Sergeant rubbing one out.

Fast forward to morning class... said private was sent to supply for a case of G2 or something just to get him out of the AO. We were then told that this morning when Top came in to address our company we were to NOT jump up to attention because the Drills would not be yelling "On your FEET!"... private returns, 1SG enters the classroom...

"BEAT YOUR MEAT!!!!"

Only one soldier jumped up at attention.

LMAO :)

The military is generally lower in stress than a lot of civilian jobs... unless you're at war that is.
Stress during training? Piece of cake.

Back