Good things to do in Europe

Duty Honor Country

I am planning to visit Europe this summer and need some ideas on where to go and what to do. I am a fan of going to places the locals like. Basically those hole in the wall non touristy places are what I am looking for. The list of countries I plan to visit are:

England
Ireland
France
Italy

My list seems short but I want to spend a few days in each country rather than do a drive by of each country.

Redleg, we will have to work something out.

Thanks for the help

~DHC

In Ireland, you will need to go to Temple Bar. It is not only the name of a bar, but a district with a bunch of other pubs. Best place to go in Dublin.

The Tower of London
The London Dungeons
The Science Museum
The Imperial War Museum in Lambeth
Duxford Imperial War Museum

If you have a couple hours to spare, take a walk around the back lanes near the Law Courts. Its like going back in time.

For France.... All Paris should be is a bucket list city. Go to the Museums, the Moulon Rouge.... There is one place.. Cimetière du Père Lachaise is where Jim Morrison from the Doors is buried. A lot of people go there...

Yeah that's pretty much it. Personally I'd skip Moulin Rouge not my cup of tea and Place Pigalle (red light district) is the unwashed armpit of Paris. I stay out of it (lots of vice/crime/etc), I don't like it there, but that's my opinion.

I do recommend Pere Lachaise, but be prepared to line up early as its popular. Lots of famous people there

I'll add a few more...

1. Montemarte, good restaurants and a beautiful view of Paris and I also like

2. The Paris Catacombs. Where you can walk past the bones of over 6 Million people. Might not please everyone, but I like it.

3. Les Invalides (this recently reopened after a huge renovation project, all eras French military history to modern, but especially Napoleonic. Napoleon's tomb is here too).

4. Le Bourget. Like Duxford, This is outside of Paris. This is has a very good collection of antique/unique aircraft. Main difference is the Duxforth is more military oriented and Le Bourget is more general. Both are worth the visit if you are an aviation fan.

Spain, away from the plain touristic points, beats all of the above...

Seriously (from a German),

Rattler

What?? Norway's not on the list?? :viking: :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYNJuP6m9JU"]Monty Python: Norwegian Party - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc4oAdiS6UE"]John Cleese: Norway Home of Giants #1 - YouTube[/ame]

Spain, away from the plain touristic points, beats all of the above...

Seriously (from a German),

Rattler

I had a friend spend all of his mid tour leave from Afghanistan in Spain so I know how good it is. To get everything out of Spain, I would need to spend a week there so I can only do so much in a 10-14 day vacation. Next time my friend.

Thank you all for the info. I will use the power of google and see which things are right for me and the wife to visit.

Redleg, so you are part of the sad remanence of the once great Norway. As a history major, the second video was beyond hilarious.

~DHC

Redleg, so you are part of the sad remanence of the once great Norway. As a history major, the second video was beyond hilarious.

Yeah, I'm afraid so...... Sadly there haven't been any good looting and pillaging here in ages now... :-| :viking:

Back