Good Military Related books you've read

--

July 17th, 2004  
Spartan

Topic: Good Military Related books you've read

I did a search on this, but to be honest the forum searches on most message boards i've been to are unreliable, so lock this if it has been done before.

On topic..

I have a list
Forgive me if I get some authors names mixed up, i'm a little fuzzy

D-Day- Steven Ambrose
Black Hawk Down- Mark Bowden
In the Company of Heroes- Mike Durant
Colditz- Not sure..
Flyboys- James Bradley
Flags of Our Fathers- James Bradley

Theres a ton more, but I can't remember them.
July 17th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer
With our backs to Berlin - Tony Lee Tissier
Killer Angles
Citizen Soldiers - Steven Ambrose
The Savage Wars of Peace - Max Boot
The passing of the Armies - Joshua Chamberlin
July 17th, 2004  
Doc.S

Spetsnaz - The Inside Story of the Soviet Special Forces

By: Viktor Suvorov

You can read it on your computer to

Link:

http://sy.cowiki.org/2737.html

Cheers:
Doc.S

--
July 17th, 2004  
Kirruth

Well, I am reading "We Were Soldiers Once and Young", by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway (check out their website at http://www.lzxray.com/), recommended in a previous thread on this forum and a great description of infantry combat in the Vietnam war by those who were there.

I also enjoyed the USMC's Small Wars Manual, which I am sure will come in handy next time I take over a small country
July 17th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Almost none of Western Military books, but well alot of Films

Of course read a lot of Chinese military stories (books) about Civial War, Korea War, China-Soviets border war, China-India border war, China-Vietnam border war.
July 17th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirruth
I also enjoyed the USMC's Small Wars Manual, which I am sure will come in handy next time I take over a small country
Do you know where I can get a cheap copy of the USMC Small Wars Manaul?
July 17th, 2004  
Spartan

I have read killer angels before, very good book. I checked out that link Doc, and the first chapter was very good. I will be reading more of that book.
July 17th, 2004  
Kirruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
Do you know where I can get a cheap copy of the USMC Small Wars Manaul?
Well, the USMC publish it as a downloadable .PDF at www.smallwars.quantico.usmc.mil/sw_manual.asp
though I haven't been able to access usmc.mil (might be US only).

You can find it on CD-Rom for 10 bucks from some places e.g. E-Bay.

I got mine in paperback from Amazon.com, but they seem to be selling copies as fast as they can get them, and there were none available second-hand. I guess they have been surprised by its sudden popularity

Sorry not to be more helpful
July 25th, 2004  
soldierzhonor

Marine Sniper: 93 confirmed kills by Charles Henderson -story of Carlos Hathcock from shooting competition to keeping the sniper school a permanent entity.

One Shot One Kill by Charles Sasser and Craig Roberts -stories of mostly American snipers stories throughout history

Red Thrust, Attack on the Central Front, Soviet Tactics of the 1990's -theoretical stories of what would happen of a Soviet Invasion into West Berlin.

Acceptable Loss by Kregg Jorgensen -story of Kregg Jorgensen while with the Blues unit in Vietnam

Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy -Japan wants its land back and launches an unusual first attack

The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy -China wants Siberias resources and they invade but Russia and America unite...you can guess what happens then
July 25th, 2004  
IrishWizard

Band of Brothers (Stephen Ambrose) - Follows Easy Company from there training at camp Toccoa to the capture of Hitlers Eagle nest. Great read. (True Story)

Enemy at the Gates (Can't remember) - Story of Vasili Zaitsev, famous Russian sniper during WWII. Tells his story of fighting and goes into great detail about him battling against the best German sniper. (True Story)

Theres a series which is produced by a company called WWII librarys. It is autobiographys of soldiers who servered during WWII and talks about what they saw and did. Has both sides, Allies and Axis. Very interesting.

Another good read, has amazing paintings of battles and great detail is, "Warfare in the Eighteenth Century."

Well can't really think of any others right now, will post more if I do.