The Good-Looking-People Syndrome

silent driller

In the military, military auxiliaries and JROTC units, there is a rather unfortunate syndrome that accompanies being too close to uniformed members of the opposite . It occurs when not-so-good-looking people start lookin' real fine. At summer encampments I've heard it refered to as Encampment Vision. At the CAP Ranger School it is known as the Hawk Effect. At NGSAR, it's NGSAR Goggles. What are some other names you've heard for this sad human condition?

Hm - I haven't heard about it but what are the other side effects? :lol: Are you positive it's a real condition and not some made up hocus pocus?

It occurs when not-so-good-looking people start lookin' real fine.

Sounds like someone snuck in a few beers.

I found this about Encampment:

1-2. Purpose of Encampment.
a. National Headquarters. As stated in CAPR 52-16 “CAP encampments are designed to provide CAP members an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the cadet and senior programs to practical situations, to develop a greater understanding of the CAP mission and CAP capabilities, and to develop their potential for aerospace leadership in an actual aerospace environment.
b. Minnesota Wing.
(1) The Encampment Vision is:
“to provide the most significant week of training in our cadets’ CAP careers”
(2) The goals of the encampment program in Minnesota Wing are:
Standardize basic cadet training across the Wing.
Develop the cadets’ skills in interpersonal relations.
Develop skills in time management, counseling, and teaching by the cadet staff.
Provide situations and objectives that require cadets to grow and move beyond their “comfort zones.”
Instill the importance of teamwork in accomplishing goals.
Instill a sense of discipline in the Cadet Corps of Minnesota Wing.
Develop skills in time management.

Sand goggles.

In the desert, folks are sweaty, gritty, nasty smelling, and invariably someone is rubbing up against a "camel" (ugly object with two humps) for comfort.

ABLAW

ABLAW man, the military is big on acronyms, and when them usualy ugly chicks start lookin real fine its cause you got a bad case of ABLAW, cause you Ain't Been Laid in A While.

Yeah, its kinda funny when your cadet dep cc (the cadet one lol, can't remember the exact title right now) starts talkin about how fine you are at a Ground Team Training weekend/SAREX. HAHA.

I laughed so hard, and he couldn't figure out why... lol.

on Shemya AB in the Aluetian Islands, where the ratio of women was about 1 to 10 men at any time...when they really started looking good we said the man had IPS Island Princess Syndrome... :D

Hi!

Couldn't resist answering this one; We tend to use the phrase 'Beer Goggles', but there is a phenomenon in the Falklands at Mount Pleasant Airfield (AKA The Death Star) whereby after a month or two, the hippocrocopigs, loosely termed as 'females, tend to appear rather gorgeous. However, en route back to the UK, once we've crossed the Equator around Ascension Ilsand, the Pilot has a habit of making the following announcement; 'Ladies, you are officially ugly again!' :twisted:

Not nice, I know, but squaddies are just like that.

By the way, sorry about my absence, but I've been away working on a suntan and dodging bottles, bricks and bullets out east, if you know what I mean.

HAHAAAAAAAH!!! ABLAW! That's what I'm talkin' about! Not sure about the camel thing though. Awesome about the plane trips! "Ladies, you are officially ugly again!" HAAAHAAAAAAAAAH! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back