going to Germany

Lived there for a while. It's very Americanised.

But Remember all the shops close before 6 o'clock though, it's a pain in the ass getting groceries after work.

Simple German is quite similar to English, so communication is not hard. The only German I really needed was 'Ein Doner Kebab Bitte'. Man those Kebabs are lovely. Those Turks really know how to cook.

OORAH, hope you are enjoying the German experience. Have a sip of "Papst" beer for me - it is beer they sell with Pope Benedict XVI on the bottle's label, as it is made in his home region.

May the Lord and St Christopher bring you home safely.

:angel:

C/1Lt Henderson said:
130 km/h...thats about 80 mph isnt it?
Yeh I think so (maybe 90 M/h). What's the max. speed limit on American freeways (I heard it's quite low compared to most European countries)?
roy75 said:
Lived there for a while. It's very Americanised.
I never expected to hear this from an American...Weird.[/quote]
roy75 said:
Simple German is quite similar to English, so communication is not hard. The only German I really needed was 'Ein Doner Kebab Bitte'. Man those Kebabs are lovely. Those Turks really know how to cook.
I'll teach you some more: "Ein Dürüm, bitte". It's like a regular Döner Kebap...but better. Apparently it was "invented" by Turkish immigrants (or their descendants) in Germany, rather than Turkey itself :D

Last edited:
How come anyone buys sports cars in America?

Btw, roy75 what exactly do you mean by "americanised"? Most western countries are pretty similar at first glance. But IMO theres quite a lot of differences when it comes to how people interact, how they work, their attitudes, etc. As for attitudes I'd say Americans in general have a much more positive outlook on things. Americans say "Thats a great idea you should do that.." while Germans say "That will never work because of...". And there are lot of other cultural differences, like the whole male-female dynamic works differently here. "Dating" is pretty much unheard of, there are no strict rules and less social pressure.

Oh and groceries are now open till 8 o'clock, most of them.

Last edited:
loki said:
How come anyone buys sports cars in America?

we prefer to think of speed limits as a guideline....the speed you should go when you're low on gas...got it now?:thumb:

rotc boy said:
we prefer to think of speed limits as a guideline....the speed you should go when you're low on gas...got it now?:thumb:
So the highway patrol officer doesn't care too much if you're breaking the limit as long as traffic isn't too dense?

^^^Nah, he'll still pull ya over, but we can pay it. As for me, I haul around in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Dunno if thats considered a sports car, but it gets around better than one.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
So the highway patrol officer doesn't care too much if you're breaking the limit as long as traffic isn't too dense?

well, if your going like, 2 mph over the speed limit, your fine...
depending on the officer, you may even get away with 5 over the limit
any more than that your definitely gonna get a ticket if they catch you

and that, is why you get one of these:
69655114x.jpg

rotc boy said:
well, if your going like, 2 mph over the speed limit, your fine...
depending on the officer, you may even get away with 5 over the limit
any more than that your definitely gonna get a ticket if they catch you
I see. It's similar over here

rotc boy said:
and that, is why you get one of these:
69655114x.jpg
Does it automatically fire HARMs at the source? :D

I didn't know these babies existed!

Man, there are some outdated or incorrect views being expressed here. Here are a couple of corrections.

1. German chicks shave almost all their body parts. Go to an FKK. Find out for yourself. That stuff about the hairy armpits refers to old women, hippies or the 1980s. If you want to see really good looking babes, go north. They get better the closer you get to Sweden. Hell, if you want babes go to Riga.

2. The only prerequisite for buying a beer is money. I have seen small children buy beer and vodka. I have seen these small children drink the beer and vodka. I have seen these children become ill. Terrible, really.

3. Most Germans do not obey speed limits or any driving laws outside of "Rechts vor Links" (and sometimes not even this very important law). In any case, large stretches of the German highway system are speed limit free. When there are limits, you will be surprised to see numbers like 120 km/h...which is slow. Just drive as fast as your car allows...but be civil in a city or town. Germans, unlike the French or Italians, frown on killing pedestrians. That type of behaviour will mean a long extended stay in Germany.

4. You can get as massively drunk as you want. It is legally the responsibility of the bar owner (or whatever) to make sure that you do not die. If you do pass out somewhere and get snapped up by the police, they will take you to a hospital. They will not beat you up unless you resist. Oh yes, have insurance.

5. As for drinking in super binges, do it. Most Germans will look at you in a funny manner because they prefer to drink 5 beers a day rather than 50 during an evening. They don't really care, though. You can even piss all over the place (not in establishments) without getting arrested. (Not on the Autobahn, however.)

6. Talk about the war as much as you want. Other than thinking you are a goof, most Germans will either apologize or agree with whatever you are saying. Stay calm. Running around drunk and calling everyone a Nazi will, however, probably get someone's attention. You will end up in a hospital unless you are a very big person...Germans are generally larger than you might believe. But, come on, would you walk around Detroit calling everyone a slave or worse? It is a relatively cheap form of suicide, however.

*******Oh yes point 6 does not apply in eastern Germany********

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Hows is Germany more "americanized" than it was, say, in the early 30s? Wasn't there already a heavy American cultural influence (like movies?).

Good point...probably the 1920s. It took "Stunde Null" or Zero Hour in May 1945 to really make americanization stick. The postwar generation was subjected to cultural democratization on a sweeping scale. The Americans used cultural imperialism to "tame" the German beast...at least that is how they saw it.

Yeah pretty much. Another item of apparent americanization that may have been unusual in the rest of Europe: Kids were already playing "Cowboys and Indians" since the late 19th century, because of Karl May books.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Yeah pretty much. Another item of apparent americanization that may have been unusual in the rest of Europe: Kids were already playing "Cowboys and Indians" since the late 19th century, because of Karl May books.

Another good point.

Back