Goff – New helicopters selected for NZ Defence Force

rock45

Goff – New helicopters selected for NZ Defence Force

Minister of Defence Phil Goff announced today that Cabinet has approved the start of contract negotiations with Agusta-Westland, the preferred tenderer for the supply of training-light utility helicopters to the New Zealand Defence Force.

“The negotiations for five Agusta-Westland A109LUHs and a flight simulator will commence shortly and I expect a contract to be signed in the first quarter of next year,” Phil Goff said.

“The helicopters should enter service with the Royal New Zealand Air Force in 2010.

“The purchase represents a new generation capability for the New Zealand Defence Force and in technology and capability is a quantum leap forward from the old Sioux training helicopter.

“In common with the Seasprite helicopter already in service and the eight new NH-90s on order for the RNZAF, the A109 is wheeled and capable of deployment from our navy vessels.

“The helicopter has the advanced technology necessary for training pilots going on to the Seasprite and NH-90 which the Sioux simply does not have.

Full story
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=31146

so so very happy that we will have two new models entering service. although our hueys are great for nostalgia's sake....new shiny is always better :)

I don't know I agree its good to be buying new equipment but the whole process seems to piece meal that I am not sure we will be any better off after all these purchases.

Seems a little out of line to be buying new helicopters when we can't get any more than a couple of Hercules off the ground at any one time and they are so heavily over committed that they are back in maintenance within a few weeks.

The kiwi pilots were great in Timor and had the trust and respect of all the grunts,going places Australian avo's wouldn't. It's good to see they're getting better machines. All Australian avo's are wankers.

Hahaha I am not sure I would argue with you even if if I could.
Anyway I am not saying they don't deserve new machines I am just saying that perhaps we need to do one job at a time and do it properly rather than spend the few million we have in small bundles all over the place.

Back