'God Told Me To Invade Iraq' - Bush

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source:Mod Oracl

US president George Bush has said that he was instructed by God to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a new BBC series.

The claim comes from the first meeting between the US leader, the Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas (also known as Abu Mazen), and his then foreign minister in June 2003.

The ministers say that Bush also revealed to them that he had been told by God to create a Palestinian state.

Former Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath, now the information minister, describes the meeting with the US leader, in the BBC2 programme, Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs. He says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it."

Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recounts how the President told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation. So I will get you a Palestinian state."

A BBC spokesman said the content of the programme had been put to the Whitehouse, but it had refused to comment on a private conversation.

The three-part series charts the attempts to bring peace to the Middle East, from Bill Clinton's peace talks in 1999/2000 to Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza strip.

The programme speaks to presidents and prime ministers, their generals and ministers, about what happened behind closed doors as the peace talks failed and the intifada exploded. The programme is being screened on October 10, 17 and 24 from 9pm to 10pm on BBC2.

Admin edit: Comments removed. check your PM's

Peace
-=SF_13=-

you'd think his advisers would tell him not to cme out with stuff like that. :?

Hi,

phoenix80 said:
this was denied immediately by the president! This is leftist crap to discredit him!

NOw how did the left feature in this :roll: .......... These are Statements from Abu Mazen, Palestinian Prime Minister, and Nabil Shaath, his Foreign Minister, describe their first meeting with President Bush in June 2003............ if someone is Lying it's them .

You can watch the Documentary Israel and the Arabs: Elusive Peace - Mondays 10, 17 and 24 October, from 9.00 to 10.00pm on BBC TWO.

God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers

Peace
-=SF_13=-

This thrills the extreme right, honestly this scares the :cen: out of me (if its true)

God - "George, las vegas is a city of sin, it needs to be elimnated"

George - "ok"

I think, so far, that this is a "recall" by Nabil Shaath. It sounds like an embellishment of a speech.
Don't grab, immediately, a statement and manufacture something that's not there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4317498.stm

The White House has dismissed as "absurd" allegations made in a BBC TV series that President Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq.
"He's never made such comments," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The comments were attributed to Mr Bush by the Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath in the upcoming TV series Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs. Mr Shaath said that in a 2003 meeting with Mr Bush, the US president said he was "driven with a mission from God".

Holy war?

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan. And I did, and then God would tell me, George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq... And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East. And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, who attended the meeting in June 2003 too, also appears on the documentary series to recount how Mr Bush told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation. So I will get you a Palestinian state."

The TV series charts recent attempts to bring peace to the Middle East, from former US President Bill Clinton's peace talks in 1999-2000 to Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip this year.
It seeks to uncover what happened behind closed doors by speaking to presidents and prime ministers, along with their generals and ministers.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/07/bush.report.reut/?section=cnn_latest

Underscoring the White House denial, Abbas's office said in a statement that the Palestinian president "never heard President Bush making any statement linking what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq with any religious points of view".
But Shaath told Reuters on Friday: "We never thought that he literally had God speaking to him".

In journalist Bob Woodward's book, "Plan of Attack," which describes the run-up to the Iraq war and is based on interviews with senior U.S. officials including Bush, the president says he appeals to God for strength when facing tough decisions but does not use God to justify decisions he makes.

The book says Bush, a devout Christian, said he tries to be a messenger of God's will but does not seek to justify the war based on God.

Just for fun, I entered "Bush told by God to invade Iraq." The only hits I got were from UK sources and "Wehatebush" websites. I think, with all the lives hanging in the balance in the Middle East conflicts, that Bush bashing would settle to a roar, even if you hate the man's guts, there are our own fighting for an idea over there. Don't put them in harm's way by making a Commander in Chief seem mentally unstable. That only helps the murderers.

Oh yeah! Al Jazeera was a source that showed up.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular on the forum or in the news. Just an opinion.

Even before looking at this thread I somehow knew that this was some sort of left wing garbage to make Bush look bad. What are these commie leftist thinking when they publish this crap they could ignite a jihad and could ignite an even bigger war. I though they were all for peace? I think the bottom line is that they hate bush so much that they will say anything regardless of consequence or human lives.

Off topic and flaming/bashing comments removed.

I'll let this thread run for now, but please stay (far) away from flaming/bashing related comments and posts.

Thanks.

Some people will give this story credance because at the beginning of this whole war on terror Bush did in fact refer to it as a "new crusade". His handlers later realised this was a major faux pas and he has since then not referred to it in public as a crusade. It very well could be true given his penchant for divine guidance but politicians by their very nature are prone to situational ethics and short term memories and the media at large is given to hyperbole and reporting stories that sell to their particular niche as opposed to making a concerted effort to report stories they first vet and find credible.

I think its ALL a conspiracy to make people no longer give any credence to anything anymore and eventually not give a damn as our leaders skirt us along towards oblivion while making money hand over fist the entire bloody way.

Back