Go Tell it to the Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
Dereliction of duty regarding Iraq
By Scott Ritter

Thursday 23 June 2005, 11:47 Makka Time, 8:47 GMT

In the months that have passed since Iraq's much-hyped democratic elections, one word keeps creeping into my mind as I assess the tragic events unfolding in Mesopotamia today: Vietnam.

The American press and punditry, intimidated and compensated into slavishly reporting on Iraq solely along lines that will not overly alienate them from the powers that be inside the administration of George Bush, have long ago foregone drawing comparisons between the ongoing conflict in Iraq and the one America lost in Southeast Asia some three decades in the past.

The lack of a basis for direct comparison makes accomplishing the denigration of any such correlation between conflicts all-too-easy for the uninformed consumer of what passes for "news" in America today: the terrain is different, the scale of violence is different, the Cold War is over, and, of course, everything changed after 9/11.

More>>>
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/B8AE8165-C87C-41A9-A2C8-D23EA944F6CC.htm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP POSTING INFORMATION FROM ALIJEEZRA OR WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the talking peice of radical Islam, and is not particuarly known for its fair and balanced reporting. They also like to "fabricate" storys. I refuse to beleive anything i read from that news agency.

Al Jazeera is full of it. They are so anti west and biased i'll feel like breaking necks when i read their articles.

Don't believe anything they say. All they are good at is getting the muslim population hating the West.

Ritter is a Pot Stirrer. IMO way too baised and has been since GW-I when his little Company Grade butt decided to opine that Gen. Schwartzkopff was cooking figures on scuds destroyed. Oh yeah and a Former UN weapons Inspector......hmmmmmmmm.

A wise man said once it is important to listen to all sides of a story and THEN decide what you believe is true He read american sources, translated russian sources, translated german sources etc. He even said once that if everyone is thinking the same someone is not thinking. His name was Patton.

IMHO by not reading this and other sources from abroad you ignore the words of your enemy at your own risk mates.

Yeah well Scott Ritter ain't George Patton. He's bumping his gums for whatever political agenda he has. With his own little spin.

As far as understanding the point of view of the enemy. Thats negligable. Understanding his methods and tactics yes. His Point of view is gonna be different from mine fundamentally thats a given.

I definitely did not say Ritter was Patton, :roll: , I was stating the opinion that you need to listen to all points of view (ABC, BBC, Al Jazeera, South China Morning Post, Scott Ritter, GW Bush...) and then decide in your valued judgement what YOU believe. In todays world of biased reporting very rarely does any one meda source tell the whole story. Things are slanted, omitted, fabricated etc and the truth lies somewhere gleaned and pieced tgether from various sources. To ompletely ignore a sorce because of a prejudice is a risk I for one won't accept. I trust we are all thinking human beings and capable of making decisions for ourselves based on the merits of individual articles and not based upon the opinions of others. I am not saying his stories are true and correct but how can you gird yourself against attack when you don't know what the enemy is saying? I for one would like to know some of the sources for claims he makes but IMO some of what he says holds water, regardless of how I might personally feel about him or any other author. If you are for some unthinkable reason truly offended then don't read it. All I am saying is that the fear of an opposing viewpoint and giving it the respec5tof listening and then creditting or discreditting it on its merits is what rational thinking people do. Its kinda like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And the credibility of the author, of which Ritter has none IMO.

Believe it or not I am quite capable of sifting information and making an educated decision based upon that information from the sources available. I am also able to recognize what information is slanted towards a particular view.

But thanks for your attempt to mentor me anyway.

just because its from the other side does not make a story accurate or reliable. Its like saying we should take into consideration what the national enquirer says just because its contradictory to the LA Times.

Sorry, USMC03, my usage of the word "you" was in the general sense, not directed back at YOU. I am not attempting to mentor anyone on this forum. A forum is a place for discussion of ideas and that is all I am doing, nothing personal and no agenda. I am looking for answers as much as I might try to give them. Sorry if I have offended you.

Suppression of dissenting views by any means is a tool of totalitarianism.

if you are so concerned with getting all sides of the story, why is it that you continue to post from only one source? where is the news from CNN the BBC and others besides scott ritter?

behemoth79 said:
just because its from the other side does not make a story accurate or reliable. Its like saying we should take into consideration what the national enquirer says just because its contradictory to the LA Times.

Indeed however the source of information doesnt necesarily make the story inaccurate nor unreliable either.

Is a guy from China really preaching around about how the americans should look for free sources of information? :shock:

Now gents, let's not get personal. I'd bet Italian Guy doesn't know your situation bulldogg. Not much in your profile to explain it, just the Chinese flag.
Let's (all of us) not let this discussion get away from us, OK? Thanks for your cooperation.

I'm sorry Bulldog - thought you were Chinese. It's just that I'm weird enough to believe that the US enjoys more freedom of information than PRC does. My bad.

Apologies accepted and I apologise for attempting to bite yer head off too. :lol: The US does enjoy more freedom of information than the PRC but with a proxy server and little persistence you can see it all. The CPC recognises that knowledge is power and it closely monitors what it allows in. I have been highly critical of this but have reconsidered that perhaps there is good reason for it in light of recent events. What made me rethink it was the story of the Koran and the subsequent worldwide protests. There were no protests in China despite its large and unhappy Uighur population because that story was censored. Considering the large number of Uighur knife salesmen around my place of employment and the fact I am a large highly noticeable white guy walking around in southern China... I am glad they censored it. :rambo: :cen: :rambo:

LOL

Italian Guy, you assume Chinese have no idea of what Democracy and Freedom are. I think you ook down Chinese people a bit much. Not allowed to speak freely, does not equal to inability to understand and express.

I don't know. I am sensing that you just so hyped up with Americanism, and willing to trash everything that is not-American or non-western way of thinking.

One thing for sure, no matter how advance you are, you still can learn a thing or two from your perceived "incapables". Please, come back down to earth, earthlin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back