To go to the moon or not to go to the moon?

View Poll Results :Should we return to the moon?
Yes 18 60.00%
No 9 30.00%
maybe 2 6.67%
don't care 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

--

September 19th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: To go to the moon or not to go to the moon?

NASA is about to reviel a $100 billion plan to put people on the moon by 2018.

My question is, with our current budget deficit, should the US even bother aiming for the moon?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html
September 19th, 2005  
rotc boy

i dont think we should. We have already put people on the moon and theres probably nothing more we could learn by sending men up there than we could by sending robots. It would be more cost efficient and there would be less danger to human life...

my 2 cents...
September 19th, 2005  
tomtom22

Been there. Done that.

We have many far more serious problems here on earth that need the money that would be wasted on going to the moon, Mars or anywhere else.
--
September 19th, 2005  
phoenix80

MARS, MARS, MARS

forget the moon, we were there before!
September 20th, 2005  
LIPS

I say "fill your boots"
September 20th, 2005  
LeEnfield

At the moment it is just talk, just sort of testing the water to se what the public has to say.
September 20th, 2005  
Charge 7

As I understand it, the issue of the US returning to the moon is largely driven by China's statement of having an interest in going there themselves and staking a claim.

There are, of course, a vast amount of untapped mineral resources on the moon. It can be well imagined that in today's declining resources and rate of development that there may well come a day before too long when it will become economically feasible to utilize the moon's resources, and indeed, we will be driven to do so.
September 20th, 2005  
Ryan17

I say yes. But im fasinated with the space program.
September 20th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Moon has a Lot of potentian as i understand .......... we are yet to utilise the benifets Moon Provides ......... It Could act as a Forward Space Base from which Distant Mission deep into Space can be Lunched ...... apart all the Mineral resources it posses...Moon could serve as tremendous supplier of energy and resources for human beings....... There are talks about Mars and Beyond but i feel we still haven't explored Moon enough and tap the Usefulness it provides to the human race ........... One step at a Time ......... Lets go to Moon and that's not just to provide a good Show .

Quote:
As I understand it, the issue of the US returning to the moon is largely driven by China's statement of having an interest in going there themselves and staking a claim.
China is not the only Country that has Aspiration to go to the Moon right now ........ India has a Moon Program (Chandrayan-1)and it is Sheduled to Blast off in 2007 ...... I have Posted it's details if anybody is Interested India's Moon Mission ........It's totally an Indian mission but would carry piggyback payloads of other countries including USA, Europe and Canada and a few Universities.

Peace
-=SF_13=-
September 21st, 2005  
ghost457

i say yes, theres always new things to learn, and we can say " we sent more real people to the moon, while you just sent robots" i think we depend to much on them. and besides, im sure there are plenty of people who will risk their lives for a chance to go to the moon.