To go to the moon or not to go to the moon?

Should we return to the moon?

• Total voters
i dont think we should. We have already put people on the moon and theres probably nothing more we could learn by sending men up there than we could by sending robots. It would be more cost efficient and there would be less danger to human life...

my 2 cents... :rambo:

Been there. Done that.

We have many far more serious problems here on earth that need the money that would be wasted on going to the moon, Mars or anywhere else.

As I understand it, the issue of the US returning to the moon is largely driven by China's statement of having an interest in going there themselves and staking a claim.

There are, of course, a vast amount of untapped mineral resources on the moon. It can be well imagined that in today's declining resources and rate of development that there may well come a day before too long when it will become economically feasible to utilize the moon's resources, and indeed, we will be driven to do so.

Hi,

Moon has a Lot of potentian as i understand .......... we are yet to utilise the benifets Moon Provides ......... It Could act as a Forward Space Base from which Distant Mission deep into Space can be Lunched ...... apart all the Mineral resources it posses...Moon could serve as tremendous supplier of energy and resources for human beings....... There are talks about Mars and Beyond but i feel we still haven't explored Moon enough and tap the Usefulness it provides to the human race ........... One step at a Time ......... Lets go to Moon and that's not just to provide a good Show .

As I understand it, the issue of the US returning to the moon is largely driven by China's statement of having an interest in going there themselves and staking a claim.

China is not the only Country that has Aspiration to go to the Moon right now ........ India has a Moon Program (Chandrayan-1)and it is Sheduled to Blast off in 2007 ...... I have Posted it's details if anybody is Interested India's Moon Mission ........It's totally an Indian mission but would carry piggyback payloads of other countries including USA, Europe and Canada and a few Universities.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

i say yes, theres always new things to learn, and we can say " we sent more real people to the moon, while you just sent robots" i think we depend to much on them. and besides, im sure there are plenty of people who will risk their lives for a chance to go to the moon.

I'd love to open the first church/chapel on the moon. I pray I get my wish. Baptising floating babies in 0-gravity would be ace

I serioulsy think NASA SHOULDN'T do this. America is already in debt enough. Plus, there are many, many more things to spend the money on that are far more important than exploring space. I just think if they do that, it would be pointless and a waste of money. We need to pay off our debts before we do any junk like that.

Padre said:
I'd love to open the first church/chapel on the moon. I pray I get my wish. Baptising floating babies in 0-gravity would be ace
pouring the water over thier head (of however you do it) would be interesting, maybe best just to squirt them with a water pistol

We still havent explored Earth 100% (oceans) so lets hold off on the moon when there are just as many things on this planet we could focus on

My reasons are selfish reasons.

My answer was a resounding "YES".

The Earth is a finite point in space populated by a varied group of homo sapiens, that are by the nature of the beast trying with every fiber of their being trying to pollute and destroy (the seas - land - air - plant life - animal life) the things which sustain their own lives.

It's my "personal" belief that one of the great hopes for mankind is for mankind to spread out to the stars. It is an earnest wish for my future ancestors to inherit the heavens, so it is a selfish wish. I know that I will not live long enough to see it happen but I just might live long enough to see man take that first small step to the stars. It is really quite simple - a manned outpost on the moon means that we are in space to stay.

After all, our great great grand parents found a new frontier in the west and tamed it to their needs and never looked back. It's what made the United States the strong nation she is today.

Tomorrow would be no different. Once man has his feet firmly planted in space, there would be no looking back.

cmon if a war were fought the bukkets would be so slow........... and they would float around it would be hilarious

USAFBoy
What the devil are you talking about? Have you got something in your mouth? If you do spit it out.

Elucidate. (That means say what you mean instead of making a statement that makes no sense).

Chief I am still reeling from having my feet planted firmly in space... how the heck does one firmly plant anything in zero gravity? :shock: :wink:

As to the topic, hell no we should settle affairs at home such as homelessness and piss poor education before we go wasting millions on a renewed space race. Wanna beat China, cut off their bloody "developing nation" loans of billions a year and make them abide by the Kyoto Protocols in their industry. I guarantee you it will sap funds from both their space programme and their military budget in order to keep from going tits up if you do those two things and neither would cost a bloody cent. Its a WIN-WIN in my book.

Back